Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vy Commodore - keep or sell?

jn24j3n24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commdore
Hi,
I bought a 2003 V6 VY Commodore 25th anniversary edition about 4-5 months ago (200k kms now 210k kms). It drives well (previous owner put new brakes on it) - only issue was that it was overheating due to a radiator leak. Mechanic replaced the water pump and the leak stopped.

After a few months it overheated again, looks like there is another radiator leak (a few drops of radiator fluid on the pavement every morning after it's rested). It must've been leaking for months.

The mechanic is saying that this leak is between the motor and the gearbox - and will cost between 500-1000$ to fix. I've only just put 6 mo rego on it.

Just wanted to ask whether you think it's worth it and how long these cars last.

Thanks

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
If I had shed room I wish Id kept every car I've ever owned. Its pointless leaving them in the weather by the time you get back to them the rust has got them. If you can keep it out of the weather keep it pointless leaving it in the weather it will be rooted with in a few years once the grass touches the floor the rust will start.

jn24j3n24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commdore
If I had shed room I wish Id kept every car I've ever owned. Its pointless leaving them in the weather by the time you get back to them the rust has got them. If you can keep it out of the weather keep it pointless leaving it in the weather it will be rooted with in a few years once the grass touches the floor the rust will start.
It's my primary car to get to work - it's garaged. Question i was asking was around whether it's worth getting it fixed based on the general life expectancy of these things. I rekon it probably is.

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
you wont get another car for $1000. get it fixed and hope nothing else fails ? As its been cooked its risky how much does another motor from the wreckers cost installed these days?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
If it's generally in good condition that I think it's worth fixing. VY V6 model was really good. It was the last of the 3.8 V6's and Holden really had their **** sorted.

Wats_in_a_name

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
210,000kms I would say your car is only a baby and has lots of life left. My VZ has 250,000kms so yours has relatively low kms.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
It's my primary car to get to work - it's garaged. Question i was asking was around whether it's worth getting it fixed based on the general life expectancy of these things. I rekon it probably is.
The engine will outlast the heat death of the universe, pending any existing damage from the overheating. The Buick 3800 it’s based on is recognised as one of the best built and reliable engines there is. The 4 speed automatic (assuming it is auto) is also quite reliable and relatively cheap to repair/overhaul.

The only real issue with Commodores of this era and older from what I can see are the little things like gaskets and ancillary devices failing (water pumps, hoses, radiators, ignition coils, crank angle sensors, etc) and general electrical gremlins that can start to appear.

If it was me I would keep it but have a secondary way of getting to work as it’s unavoidable that little issues will continue to crop up as the car gets older but most of them should be relatively cheap and easy to fix.

I’ve got a motorbike as my secondary transport option as my VE is now nearly 15 years old and I fully expect that issues are going to crop up on a more regular basis as the car gets older.

If your the type of person who cant be arsed with somewhat unreliable transport and wants something that’s going to work every time then you will need to leapfrog into a very new vehicle (less than a couple of years old) and stay there by trading up every few years otherwise you’ll be in a worse position than the VY as more modern cars are even more complicated and more likely to have major expensive problems far sooner.

jn24j3n24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commdore
The engine will outlast the heat death of the universe, pending any existing damage from the overheating. The Buick 3800 it’s based on is recognised as one of the best built and reliable engines there is. The 4 speed automatic (assuming it is auto) is also quite reliable and relatively cheap to repair/overhaul.

The only real issue with Commodores of this era and older from what I can see are the little things like gaskets and ancillary devices failing (water pumps, hoses, radiators, ignition coils, crank angle sensors, etc) and general electrical gremlins that can start to appear.

If it was me I would keep it but have a secondary way of getting to work as it’s unavoidable that little issues will continue to crop up as the car gets older but most of them should be relatively cheap and easy to fix.

I’ve got a motorbike as my secondary transport option as my VE is now nearly 15 years old and I fully expect that issues are going to crop up on a more regular basis as the car gets older.

If your the type of person who cant be arsed with somewhat unreliable transport and wants something that’s going to work every time then you will need to leapfrog into a very new vehicle (less than a couple of years old) and stay there by trading up every few years otherwise you’ll be in a worse position than the VY as more modern cars are even more complicated and more likely to have major expensive problems far sooner.

How would i know if damage has been caused? I got the overheat warning but it went back down to normal temp 30-60 seconds. This has occurred probably 4 times between the last radiator leak and this recent leak. It still drives well, haven't noticed a difference yet.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Is it using coolant? Other than when it was leaking from the pump?