Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vy commodore recalls

kjparker

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S1 Acclaim
Hi

I will be picking up a new commodore equip in the near future. Just wondering what recals there are on these cars... I can't seem to find them mentioned anywhere... There was the power steering one, but that was the only one I could find.

Are there others?

Also I was looking at putting on a vy ss steering wheel as found in the online shop. Should I expect any drama's in putting it on?

Keith

Gobbles

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim Series II
Im pretty sure with the VY there should be no dramas in puttng it on...since you already have the air bag...i questioned being able to put it onto a VT/VX and you cant do it because the steering columns are different and the airbag on the VT/VX is different than that in the VY and you cant run the steering wheel without the airbag

jules

we like the bun
Reaction score
Members Ride
pimpin
changing steering wheels is a bit of a job these days with airbags packed into them. apart from the roadworthiness side of it, people have been killed in the process as well.

there's 2 fixes for the VY power steering. 1 was a recall for a hose replacement, the other is floating around at the moment - i am told dealers are waiting for parts from the factory.

kjparker

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S1 Acclaim
jules said:
changing steering wheels is a bit of a job these days with airbags packed into them. apart from the roadworthiness side of it, people have been killed in the process as well.

there's 2 fixes for the VY power steering. 1 was a recall for a hose replacement, the other is floating around at the moment - i am told dealers are waiting for parts from the factory.

I wasn't actually going to do it myself, I was gping to get the dealer to do it at one of it's services! My question was more of a case of would I need anything else.....

Are those the only recalls? I would assume a brand new VY (SII with 15k or less on it) would already have had them fixed, or at least not be affected... Right?

Keith

J

jarrod

The other problem with VYs is with the fuel tank. Some vehicles its the reader unit in the tank. The other is a hose that helps level out the fuel in the tank because the tank slightly covers the tail shaft the fuel has to get from one side to the other. The hose needs to be replaced by holden. You won't run out of fuel its just that you wont get a great deal in there. And this applies to both 6's and 8's.

Astranomical

Ecotec just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Members Ride
AH Astra (daily), VX Berlina, VN Calais, Mazda 626
jules said:

They wouldn't go off if you disconnected the battery before you touched anything else, right? Just wondering.

jules

we like the bun
Reaction score
Members Ride
pimpin
they actually store charge (capacitors) so technically that's not true, but in practice yes disconnecting the battery lowers the risk dramatically.

keith,
check here for recalls: http://dynamic.dotars.gov.au/recalls/index.asp

as far as what's been done on your car, it's recorded by the dealer (they are all on the same database). ring and ask (have the VIN handy)

J

jarrod

kjparker said:
Are those the only recalls? I would assume a brand new VY (SII with 15k or less on it) would already have had them fixed, or at least not be affected... Right?

Keith

I had my One Tonner in today to have the problem with the petrol tank sorted. What was happenning was the float arm on the reader unit was getting caught on a hose in the tank and not allowing it to move freely. Now with that done i can fill up a lot less often. ;)
To the unwise they probably wouldn't know so keep an eye on the amount of fuel getting into the tank when nearly empty.