Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vy commodore sputtering under acceleration and when revving in neutral

Callan Carpenter

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy executive wagon
Rather than potentially waste money, swap the suspect coil with another one on your car and see if the problem moves to where you put the suspect coil. If not, get new leads and as I said it wouldn't hurt to get new leads any way, they do need replacing from time to time.
Yea fair enough I'll pick some up soon and replace them and if that fixes it then yea but if not I'll replace the suspect coil as well

CapnCarnage

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II S-pac
Hey guys,

So I've got a 2003 by Commodore wagon v6 and now every time I go to accelerate a bit I feel the back end sputter and it does it when I rev it in neutral as well, I'm lost as to what it could be do you guys have any ideas? I've heard it could be fuel pump but I've replaced that already and I've also read that it could be fuel pressure but I'm not too sure, don't really wanna take to a mechanic just yet but if I can't get it fixed I Will thanks.

Hi OP

How many KM?

My VYII S v6 (at 415,000km) is doing exactly the same thing as yours. It is really noticeable, as I have a free-flowing exhaust on it. I should make a video. Car has been fastidiously cared for all of its life.

I have done all I can do to it for both spark and fuel, and last night took it into a mechanic who put his scan tool onto it; showed MASSIVE Spark Advance (7 - max 23,000) and also knock-retard showed up on all 6 cylinders when free-revving the motor.
It had excessive oil leak from Front Main Seal, motor oil was found inside the sensor plugs for both CAM and CAS sensors (!!)
It also will stall when it gets to +95c.

- Suspect failing Crank Angle Sensor & Cam sensor.
- Suspect worn timing chain and sprockets / tensioner
- definite failing front main seal

I plan to replace the timing chain set and tensioner and reassemble with a new harmonic balancer and new CAS n CAM sensors

Will report back when work is done next weekend.

Callan Carpenter

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy executive wagon
Hi OP

How many KM?

My VYII S v6 (at 415,000km) is doing exactly the same thing as yours. It is really noticeable, as I have a free-flowing exhaust on it. I should make a video. Car has been fastidiously cared for all of its life.

I have done all I can do to it for both spark and fuel, and last night took it into a mechanic who put his scan tool onto it; showed MASSIVE Spark Advance (7 - max 23,000) and also knock-retard showed up on all 6 cylinders when free-revving the motor.
It had excessive oil leak from Front Main Seal, motor oil was found inside the sensor plugs for both CAM and CAS sensors (!!)
It also will stall when it gets to +95c.

- Suspect failing Crank Angle Sensor & Cam sensor.
- Suspect worn timing chain and sprockets / tensioner
- definite failing front main seal

I plan to replace the timing chain set and tensioner and reassemble with a new harmonic balancer and new CAS n CAM sensors

Will report back when work is done next weekend.
Hey mate, turns out mine was just spark plug leads and once I changed them it fixed the problem completely so I'm not sure what it could be for you, I hope you find out what the problem is soon man

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
In my long history of owning Commodores, for me it's always been a dud lead when a miss develops. Granted that it could be other things, a new set of leads always fixed my problem.

G.nuts

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vu
Im getting a similar problem can anyone help..
2001 vu v6 auto
Ok when cold but when worm has a miss and bad under load in gear
just coasting is ok but i put my foot down its bad..
I have done
fuel pump
Fuel filter
Leads
Plugs
Coils
CTS
Injectors
CAS
and waiting on a new fuel p r tomorrow.
I have had a code reader on it but no codes come up..
What to do next??

Last edited:

bombadore

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s
crank angle sensor is going out. pour water over the sensor when its missing when hot and if it gets better for a bit just change it

G.nuts

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vu
Done my CAS today has made no difference..
Do you think it could be fuel p r ??
I am getting a new one tomorrow so will try that..
Do i jave to take the fuel rail of to get to the reg?

G.nuts

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vu
crank angle sensor is going out. pour water over the sensor when its missing when hot and if it gets better for a bit just change it
Didn't make a difference i replaced it anyway and done the fuel pressure regulator today with no difference
I dont know what to do next
Apart from sell it for next to nothing and i dont have the money to take to mechanic