Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY Door Speaker Upgrades?

dashdown98

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY S Commodore SII
Hey guys, I bought a VY S sedan last week and I've bought some two sets of Sony coaxials to upgrade the door speakers. I did some research today and found out they actually have a factory tweeter in the dash (oops) and wondered how they were wired up. I was wondering if the factory setup had a crossover in it? If so, would I be better off returning my coaxials and going for a component system? If not, how the hell are they wired up and should I just disconnect my factory tweeter and run the coaxials in the door only? Cheers in advance :beer chug:

vongy10

Reaction score
Members Ride
CV8 Monaro V2
Well you can keep the stock tweeters and run the coaxals or get components and disconnect the stock tweeters as I'm sure the components come with a crossover for the speaker and tweeter.

Commo Baba

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim Wagon.
I just changed the coaxs in the doors in mine. Left the others alone. No problem.

Commokid

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 VS 5.0L Ute
The tweeters have a capacitor to filter the sound, they are really easy to get to. I replaced mine yesterday with alpine type s components and the tweeters and midrange screwed into the factory places. Here is a photo of removing them. The photo is from a Vt but the only difference is there is only one screw on the side next to the air vent.

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina

Commokid

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 VS 5.0L Ute
Yeh sorry I can't work out how to post pictures pm me if you need it, or go the "vt tweeter install" on this forum and the photo is on there.

dashdown98

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY S Commodore SII
Well you can keep the stock tweeters and run the coaxals or get components and disconnect the stock tweeters as I'm sure the components come with a crossover for the speaker and tweeter.

If I keep the stock tweeters and run coaxials aren't I technically running four tweeters in the front though? Doesn't the high range overpower the mid range then? Yeah the components come with crossovers but where does the factory wiring meet up for the tweeter and door speaker?

dashdown98

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY S Commodore SII
The tweeters have a capacitor to filter the sound, they are really easy to get to. I replaced mine yesterday with alpine type s components and the tweeters and midrange screwed into the factory places. Here is a photo of removing them. The photo is from a Vt but the only difference is there is only one screw on the side next to the air vent.

So I can buy a component set and replace the tweeters and door speakers and forget about the crossover? Is the capacitor for the tweeter actually inside the factory tweeter or in the wiring just before?

vongy10

Reaction score
Members Ride
CV8 Monaro V2
If I keep the stock tweeters and run coaxials aren't I technically running four tweeters in the front though? Doesn't the high range overpower the mid range then? Yeah the components come with crossovers but where does the factory wiring meet up for the tweeter and door speaker?

If you want to run coaxals then disconnect the stock tweeters...
For the compoents to work you wire the stock wires to the crossover then wire the speaker and tweeter to it, like 1 input then 2 outputs. Simple.