Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY HID install

axemurderer101

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VY SS
you got yelled at because fitting hid to any headlights that didnt come standard with hid's are illegal, even if you fit them to projector headlights they are still illegal full stop. mind you i have them in my lowbeams in standard SS reflector headlights and i dont care what other people say cause i know they are illegal. people say if you fit them to projector headlight they will be legal but this is not true, but they will have less glare than reflector headlights.

DUK13Y

When in doubt, slide it out
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VEII SSV, VYII Berlina, '97 Lancer
Your car, do what you want, just be prepared to face consequences if caught.
I have installed HID's into reflectors and had no trouble with police or other drivers and I plan on installing HID's into my projector lights in my Berlina. But I know they will be illegal, so I'm accepting if I get defected for them.

Nic92

Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Members Ride
2005 Mitsubishi Evolution 9
you got yelled at because fitting hid to any headlights that didnt come standard with hid's are illegal, even if you fit them to projector headlights they are still illegal full stop. mind you i have them in my lowbeams in standard SS reflector headlights and i dont care what other people say cause i know they are illegal. people say if you fit them to projector headlight they will be legal but this is not true, but they will have less glare than reflector headlights.

yeah but in the thread right wasnt about if they were illegal or not, i dont care about that its just ppl wined because it would annoy other ppl on the road meh i ended up with just phillips bulbs im gonna get hids later n get the proper head lights and i really dont wanna annoy the police by not having the projecter ights

TMM

OEM+
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina S2
even the Commodore projectors aren't ideal.

Commodore projector has a beam pattern typical of a halogen projector like this (pic is for left hand drive vehicle):
bmw-e36_exterior-lights_aftermarket-halogen-projectors_hid-bulbs_anubis.jpg

Proper HID projector has a beam pattern like this:
hidx5xa5.jpg

Also note, much better optics (less light bleeding above cut-off).

The best thing to do is get a Commodore projector headlight, disassemble the whole thing, remove the projector unit and retro fit a projector from a car that actually has HIDs like a BMW or Merc. There are also aftermarket projectors you can buy separately. Even then it still won't have auto-leveling but thats about as good as you'll get on a VY.

There are entire forums dedicated to this sort of thing. So you might as well do your research and do it properly. Better vision for you and less blinding for other drivers.

MAG00

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Calais
There are entire forums dedicated to this sort of thing. So you might as well do your research and do it properly. Better vision for you and less blinding for other drivers.

Which = too much effort for him, I can guarantee it. So he'll either decide to put up with some better globes, or he'll be a twat and go down the HID globes in reflector light fittings.

Nic92

Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Members Ride
2005 Mitsubishi Evolution 9
lol ^ already brought new gobes, im gonna do hids wen i can get better head lights but for now il use the shi tty phillips globes even the ones i brought are illegal so what as long as it doesnt blind ppl and not annoying for other drivers im sure the coppers wont mind it as much as hid;s, as far as brightness goes i dont really care about how bright they are, as long as they are brighter than the stock yellow crap and look much better then idc i dont do much night driving anyway barely once a week out at night

Richard Moss

Reaction score
Members Ride
Chevrolet Lumina Coupe S (Monaro CV6)
so you guys did the HID's without projector head lights? coz in the other thread i was getting yelled at coz i wanted to put them in my orginal head lights

Mine are projectors and have a nice, clean beam pattern.

Mookie01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS commodore executive series 2
Anyone know how to install a HID kit in vy ss headlights? just on the high beam btw :)
A lot of you people are stupid right ! Those VY SS have whats called projector headlights in them and they come factory and are supposed to have HID bulbs in them you morons should do your research properly