Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY high fuel consumption fixed

Anwyll

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Berlina V6
at $8 ill just change mine every 5000km when i change the oil and filter why the hell not on another note thing i should change the plugs and fuel filter?

If you're going to do that why not pickup a Lukey reusable filter (water washable), only about $30 on ebay, I think the K&N factory replacement filter is more expensive (and oil lubricated) but similar deal

nate-vy

Reaction score
Members Ride
blown vy v8 ute
man thats horrible ide hate a 6 that did 20l per 100 haha glad your onto it though mate

tyrone

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH caprice , 2010 Holden CDX Cruze
If you're going to do that why not pickup a Lukey reusable filter (water washable), only about $30 on ebay, I think the K&N factory replacement filter is more expensive (and oil lubricated) but similar deal

to be 100% honest i dont think washing a filter under water could possible get out all the fine dust out.... yes it would get most of it but not the real fine stuff. and $8 every 6 months is no big deal if i cant afford that i shouldnt own a car lol

fourstar82

Head Chef Honcho
Reaction score
Website
s31.photobucket.com
Members Ride
VYII 25th Anniversary, 2007 VE Calais
This is what happens to your spark plugs when you the valve stem seals are leaking:

IMG_0341.jpg

As you would imagine, the fuel consumption wasn't great, it was covered in oily fuel. All fixed now though!

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
This is what happens to your spark plugs when you the valve stem seals are leaking:

As you would imagine, the fuel consumption wasn't great, it was covered in oily fuel. All fixed now though!

How long was that plug in there for?

fourstar82

Head Chef Honcho
Reaction score
Website
s31.photobucket.com
Members Ride
Noticed problems about 3000kms after my last service and they were new plugs! The Holden guys took a little while to figure out what the actual problem was. They initially thought it was a leaking fuel injector.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Thats was a hell of a leak then.

fourstar82

Head Chef Honcho
Reaction score
Website
s31.photobucket.com
Members Ride
Tell me about it! Felt like I had dropped a cylinder, which is essentially what happens when it clogs up like that.

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
I just bought a K&N filter. I have used other filters from them in other vehicles and trust them. If you go the K&N just make sure you keep your MAF clean (just spray it with a bit of electrical contact cleaner) whenever you service the filter.

buzzard

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn turbo
this is the fix

. check obvious air filter spark plugs and leads
. a blocked fuel filter can be noticed by poor high load performance and a check engine light as the ecu tries to adjust fuel trims for low pressure in rail
. check o2 sensors. multimeter the 2 pins of the sensor while engine is running at 2000 rpm you will see a small voltage around .01 and .9 volts it will bounce between the two values dont disconect from harnes back probe conector some have 4 wire sensors just check the black and grey wire the 2 white ones are a heater 12v
.most times i see this problem the o2 sensors have failed especialy when a engine is running rich
.another problem ive seen is the earth wire on the right hand front of the engine broken off and the one on the left rear of the engine they earth the engine to the ecu and can cause all sorts of problems
.the earth wire even can cause o2 sensors not to work

bottom line is change air filter plugs leads o2 sensors and check for good earth at o2 wiring and your problem goes away or take it to a workshop and pay to have it diagnosed either way $200-400