Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vy knocking/tinny sound

Tay212

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy S pack Ute
Hey guys so let’s start of by saying yep I know I’m a dip ****! Was flogging the **** out of the pride and joy and then bang literally. Lost power and loud as knocking/tinny sound coming from the top of the engine only gets louder the more you put your foot down. What have I done? iCloud link to video of the noise https://share.icloud.com/photos/0nmZfZPi1ajU82ujtTt88jVKQ

Last edited:

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
If an engine goes overspeed, commonly called "over-revving", damage to the piston and valvetrain may occur when a valve stays open longer than usual. Valve float can possibly result in loss of compression, misfire, or a valve and piston colliding with each other.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
WOW, that's a helpful post, where did you copy that from? These days, engines have rev limiters to prevent this this occurrence.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
WOW, that's a helpful post, where did you copy that from? These days, engines have rev limiters to prevent this this occurrence.
Well that's helpful this vehicle seemed to overrev hence the reason why the valves are now farked.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
That's an assumption on your part ;)

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
If a valve had hit a piston chances are it would have a miss at idle due to the valve not sealing properly. I'd be looking at a failed lash adjustor for starters going by the tick. Rockers covers off should reveal what is going on.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
****, for some reason I was thinking alloytec. VY is ecotec, I'd still be looking at the lifter but take the rocker covers off and look for a loose lifter/push rod etc.