Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY life expectancy?

What would you do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Commo Baba

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim Wagon.
The alloy ones are better (MACE sells them) but I would expect Holden to use standard ones (they don't like anything not OEM).
I carry around a set of the Mace alloy ones as spares just in case, even tho I haven't got around to carrying any spare hoses, hahaha.

skappascrap

Herp is for the derp.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'02 VY SV8
I have a VX with 315,XXX km on the clock with the original engine and transmission.
The 18 months I've owned it all I have done is servicing and replaced the heater tap, that's it in 60,XXX km.

jeepyrocks

Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW 535D, VR V6 Ute
Agree with the others, you are getting touched up on prices there...
We have several fleet vy commodores at work one has done 490k and another is at 470k both original engines and still running fine.. Lots of stuff done over the years but surprisingly still drive very well..

Jeebers what business keeps their cars that long besides taxis? What are they used for?

Reaction score
Members Ride
Adventra LX8 & LX6
Jeebers what business keeps their cars that long besides taxis? What are they used for?

They are the company wheelbarrows (as we like to call them). No one in particular is assigned them.. just used as spares and transporting big n dirty stuff.
Worth nothing but working fine... When they die they will be scrapped... I think now we all are just interested to see how long they will actually run for..
Our staff borrow them on weekends to do dirty jobs and they are always used when cars and vans are getting serviced/repaired..

Not Tight ass just practical..

Dirbatua

AWOL!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS Series 2
fair enough, they are no longer a tax write off so most companies would buy a new dunger car to be able to write it off even if it is going to be on **** duties.

But would be interesting to see how long they take to exploded.

Ozzie

JCCC Warrnambool
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ozzie'z Supercharged VY Calais
Just do'nt go to a **** mechanic, dealerships may be expensive but they'll do the job right and you wont need to go back.
Shitty places will do up bolts and use hand tight as a specification of tightness.

I call bull***t
Our local Holden dealer changed the wife's VZ coil three times before I did it myself only to find the cause was the plug itself killing the coils which they left in there to make more $$$
Dealerships are only after money, they really do'nt care if your car breaks down up the road and 99% of the people working on your car are apprentices that haven't been taught properly

goony

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais v V6 wagon
378,000 and purring. Using low to mid 9's per 100km and touch wood she's got that much more to go.

Change your own oil at 5 to 10 thou, check your fluids and treat them nice...

Of course if it was thrashed earlier on then it's a different yarn...

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
All my Ecotec's had approximately 500,000km by the time I moved them on, they ran perfectly too.

All unopened engines, all original, just the regular maintenance, they can get a bit rattly with age but they tend to be pretty solid.