Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY LS1 Tonner

Bunge

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY LS1 Tonner
Hi I have been trying to find out what transmission I have in my VY11 V8 Tonner, It has M31 on the ID plate and everywhere else I look has M30 which is a 4L60e. Sorry if I've done this wrong this is my first time at forums, thanks in advance for your help.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
The only automatics VYs used was the 4l60e bar a few HSV models that had the 4L65e (largely the Avalanche). What's the 4 digit code on the side of the transmission?

The V6 and V8 4L60e aren't interchangeable as well if that was your next question.

Last edited:

Bunge

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY LS1 Tonner
thanks no there is nothing wrong with my transmission I just want know what M31 is, I thought it might be the V8 version of 4L60e 'like the old Holden Ausy 4 speed M20 was six cyl and M21 was V8 version' but when I google it there is nothing! but if I google M30 there is heeps of infomation. I will jack it up later and get the code thanks again. I looked up 4L65e and it uses M32 code.

Last edited:

Bunge

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY LS1 Tonner
Thanks for that well it is a 4 speed transmission so my id must be a misprint I cant find a code laying under the car so I'm just going with 4L60e thanks again

Bunge

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY LS1 Tonner
Hi I found an id code at the rear of my transmission just behind the pan, It is stamped with tiny pin type punches, 3HZD070### from what I can find it is a 4L65e. Is it normal for the transmission to be painted black I had to scratch the paint off to read it.

Just Damo

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 Omega, EA Fairmont (Restoration)
Hi I found an id code at the rear of my transmission just behind the pan, It is stamped with tiny pin type punches, 3HZD070### from what I can find it is a 4L65e. Is it normal for the transmission to be painted black I had to scratch the paint off to read it.
If you had to scratch the paint off then probably not. It's not not normal for people to spray the box, but if they have, then they have had it out of the car at some point

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I have the list of transmission codes somewhere. Will try find them tonight. Not the M20 type but the details of the full transmission codes.