Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY Power Steering Cooler

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
Hey Guys.

VY commodore wagon V6 Auto
Appears the Front power steering cooler line in the front of the radiator has rusted like mad and think thats where all my power steering oil is going, Its everywhere in the front of the radiator and my level is dropping very quick. Its not the rack, and not the pump i just replaced that 2 months ago, was fine until about this week when the level has dropped. Any ideas what to replace that hose with or where i can get a replacement online ?
Also have found coolant all along the bottom of my radiator, not sure if its just coolant left over from a flush when i did my power steering pump or what but that was 2 months ago.
Any help would be great. im really hating cars at the moment lol

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/POWER-ST...Accessories&hash=item588eecea83#ht_1493wt_907
Maybe something like that to replace the rusted cool pipe

Last edited:

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
Ok Cheers mate.
Ill Give holden a call monday and see if i can still get the hose.
If not ill try the wreckers and see what they have.
Also the radiator has **** its self too the side tank has let go.
So new Radiator, Cooler hose and replace the water pump while im at it. maybe even the heater tap if its crap

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
Rang Holden they stock the cooler pipe, Apparently its a common issue with them rusting out. $60 pretty cheap
Installed new radiator and water pump yesterday. All Good :)

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
Rang Holden they stock the cooler pipe, Apparently its a common issue with them rusting out. $60 pretty cheap
Installed new radiator and water pump yesterday. All Good :)

That's not too bad a price for the pipe, I would have guessed it'd be more than that.
I also would have thought they would have the decency to make them out of aluminium. Will have to check mine, live near the beach.

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
This is what mine looks like, and yes the beach is at the end of my street and previous owner lived next to it also.
Screen%20shot%202011-08-01%20at%208.51.52%20PM.png

Richard Moss

Reaction score
Members Ride
Chevrolet Lumina Coupe S (Monaro CV6)
In an emergency, for a "get you home" type fix, you should be able to cut out the rusty section and replace it with some flexible hose (heater hoses for example).

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
Fitted new cooler today, Easyish Job. Biggest pain trying to get the pipes between the radiator and bottom bar. Be Much easier if you removed the front bumper but i just kept going at it till i finally got it it. Hope my Fluid will now stop dropping. Just 3 Screws and 2 hose clamps, be sure to have 2 bolts to block the 2 rubber hoses, Once new one fitted, Put the Return hose on first, allow it to fill the new pipe while toping it up, then stick the other hose on to avoid air in the system :)

Bigartie11

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Ute 3.6
On my wh stato,i took out the cooler and replaced it with flexi hose.didnt have any dramas,however i wasnt driving in too much city stuff

aussie4life

Keep It Simple Stupid
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE International 3.0L
your new so ill say this nicely. check the blue bar for the date the last post was because this one is 2 years old