Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY Radio Antenna Mast & Rope

Sheriff69

This Town Aint Big Enough
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY S-Pak Ute V6
Greeting fellow Commodore Owners!

I'm having to replace my Radio Antenna 'Mast & Rope' on my 2002 VY Commodore Ute. I've replaced it before, some years ago, and are having trouble finding the correct AERPRO part number which is what I used last time. After much searching on the web last weekend I came up with AERPRO Part Number #AP250. I'm not wanting to replace the whole unit but will if I absolutely have to.

I emailed AERPRO and asked them the same question and they responded with:

"We do not stock the factory replacement antenna mast and rope, we only have the full replacement auto antenna which is the AP971".

Is there anyone here that has replaced their 'Mast & Rope' Antenna on the same VY as mine that can confirm, or deny, the correct AERPRO part number please?

Thanking everyone in advance.

ant797

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s
Thanks. Came across these during my weekend of research, however I'm after the correct AERPRO part number. Appreciate your time.
You answered your own bloody question in your op they said they don't stock it end of story if there was a part number for it they would of gave it you just buy the eBay **** or go the wreckers

Sheriff69

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY S-Pak Ute V6
You answered your own bloody question in your op they said they don't stock it end of story if there was a part number for it they would of gave it you just buy the eBay **** or go the wreckers

They do stock them as I have purchased one before, hence why I want to get another one!

Sheriff69

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY S-Pak Ute V6
Update for those interested...

Purchased Aerpro AP250 Mast & Rope which was the correct one for my 2002 VY Commordore Ute. Installed it as per some other helpful posts here at 'just commodores'. Turned out that the internal nylon 'worm drive' gear was worn which resulted in the antenna not fully retracting. I pulled apart the old antenna motor, cleaned all the gears and regressed them as required and reassembled, no luck. Fair to say that after 18 years of operating (2002 to 2020) it was well and truly worn out!

Next purchase was for the full replacement motor and antenna, Aerpro AP971. The factory bracket doesn't fit the Aerpro motor assembly so you have to use then one they supply. Wasn't hard to install, some filing of the bracket to make it fit on the new motor nice and snug. Drill a larger hole in their bracket in order to mount the motor assembly to the car. They supply a wiring harness which clicks into the OEM plug, very simple.

Had to bend the motor assembly into a different position as the quarter panel side indicator assembly touched the antenna motor assembly when installed (I removed it for better access). Again, easy to do as now everything is installed and working well.

My advice with anyone with a same age Commordore would be don't bother replacing the antenna mast and rope, just replace the whole assembly.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Update for those interested...

Purchased Aerpro AP250 Mast & Rope which was the correct one for my 2002 VY Commordore Ute. Installed it as per some other helpful posts here at 'just commodores'. Turned out that the internal nylon 'worm drive' gear was worn which resulted in the antenna not fully retracting. I pulled apart the old antenna motor, cleaned all the gears and regressed them as required and reassembled, no luck. Fair to say that after 18 years of operating (2002 to 2020) it was well and truly worn out!

Next purchase was for the full replacement motor and antenna, Aerpro AP971. The factory bracket doesn't fit the Aerpro motor assembly so you have to use then one they supply. Wasn't hard to install, some filing of the bracket to make it fit on the new motor nice and snug. Drill a larger hole in their bracket in order to mount the motor assembly to the car. They supply a wiring harness which clicks into the OEM plug, very simple.

Had to bend the motor assembly into a different position as the quarter panel side indicator assembly touched the antenna motor assembly when installed (I removed it for better access). Again, easy to do as now everything is installed and working well.

My advice with anyone with a same age Commordore would be don't bother replacing the antenna mast and rope, just replace the whole assembly.
That's what's mine doing it wont raise or pull down all the way, got a new one ready to go in, was going to do it but got stuck fitting a set of cross over speakers in on a family members car.

TJohn

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 vy crewman
Would it be the same part no for a 04 vy? Mine doing the same. May as well get mechanic to do it while new suspension goes in. Missus reckons SCA have them?