Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY Replacing Front Hubs

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
Got 360k+ out of the hubs on the front of our old Calais.
My VQ didn't get 140 with the old design.

fxxxrr

Reaction score
Members Ride
WL statesman FX holden EH holden
never had a reason to look at the bearings on either the VT i used to own or the stato i own now, never realised
I play Old holdens not new ones lol new ones just to go buy parts for the old ones

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
I ended up buying a pair of Machter branded hubs from e-bay and so far so good. The ones on the car were original (180,000km) with the left side being the noisier of the two. The original hubs were branded SKF on the back plastic cover, the new ones are branded on the hub face. Interestingly the original right hand side hub came off easy and the black plastic cover on the back was about half way out, no idea how that happened most probably like it from new. The left one was a bit rusted to the knuckle and rotor, a bit of WD40 and a light tap and off it came. One question if anyone knows, the torque range for tightening the 3 bolts do you go close tot he max setting and does applying Loctite to the threads cause torquing errors?

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
One question if anyone knows, the torque range for tightening the 3 bolts do you go close to the max setting and does applying Loctite to the threads cause torquing errors?

Torque specs for front hub bolts is 100 to 115Nm
I've always torqued them to 115Nm with just a small drop of Loctite on the bolts and never had any issues

Neilyas

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore Berlina V6
Anybody else having trouble removing the hubs, I can't get a socket on the head of the bolts at the back of the hub.
Do you need a special tool???

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
most hubs are fitted with a allen key bolts unless yours have been change, i have a set of allen key half inch drive sockets
and there was one bolt i had trouble with trying to get the tool into the head because of room when you add the ratchet or sliding handle bar

Anybody else having trouble removing the hubs, I can't get a socket on the head of the bolts at the back of the hub.
Do you need a special tool???

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
The diagram and instructions below are from VZ, but should be the same as yours. I once cut down an Allen key and used a ring spanner on it for leverage.

IMG_1073.PNG

Neilyas

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore Berlina V6
Thanks very much to you both for your assistance, I didn't realise they were an Allen head bolt retaining the hub, I will check it out,
nice diagram dgp, thank you.
Regards
Neilyas