Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY Series 2 (HSV twin guage cluster)

cosmo94

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute
I have a VY series 2 SS ute and would like to put in the 2 centre guages like in HSV, SSZ etc.Can any one who has done or had this done advise exactly whats involved as im getting stories from $250 up to $1700. Im told VY's are not wired correctly therfore a lot of work required wiring wise so that the computer chip reads them correctly!!!!
Just want to know the real story as now im very confused by the different stories i keep getting from performance shops and Holden themselves.
:b:

clixanup

Has Left
Reaction score
This kit will fit a VY (with or without climate):

http://www.nvu.com.au/products_single.php?action=showproduct&cat=2&id=266&page=1&section=1

I know it says VZ without climate, but it will fit a VY with or without climate.

It costs $495 and would cost probably another $100 to be fitted by a proper auto electrician. However, it comes with wiring instructions, so if you're a bit of a handyman you should have no troubles. The hardest bit will be fitting the oil pressure sender to your engine. I believe the kit comes with all the necessary hardware.

Personally, I reckon these are better than the $700 HSV kits because the needles light up in these. They don't in the HSV gauges.

Avoid the cheaper gauge sets from Ebay. They won't work in a VY without lots of messing around. The problem is that the VZs come with the wiring loom fitted (if they have climate control).

But, the VYs had no such wiring, because the cars weren't designed with these gauges in mind.

Hope that clears it up for you.

wazza 42

White Pure White
Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VYII S Pack Utility/03 VYII S Pack Sedan
I have been through the process of these gauges and ordered gauges and returned them to my local dealer.Eventually I had to bite the bullet and by the HSV white face gauges at $660.00.I was spending alot of money not knowing if they fitted a V6.The wiring of the gauges was as per instructions and took approximately 4hours on a saturday.The only problem was the oil pressure sender, the wire needed to be lengthened and I needed an adaptor for the sender unit.This was made easier by help on this forum but you have a SS V8 so this part is of no interest to you as the V8 adaptor is in the complete kit.the only problem with this kit is the gauges dont match your instrument cluster.
One option is to order the white face HSV clubsport cluster at approximately $600.00.There are 28 different clusters listed with VY's so Im not sure if any other white ones are available.
The second option is to contact JHP in melbourne as they can chage the faces and needles to match your cluster.They have a website www.jhp.com.au and can supply the gauges and change them for $880.00.I was going this way as I have a VY calais 3 window dash but now I like the white so will be getting a HSV cluster.
I found the Vz gauges didnt fit as the VY hole is larger and mount differently and the bottom of the VZ gauges sits very close to ducting beind the dash.Those gauges would have matched my calais dash exactly.Also the VZ gauges have an unusual electrical connector to do your wiring too.
I hope this helps .

clixanup

Has Left
Reaction score
wazza 42 said:
I found the Vz gauges didnt fit as the VY hole is larger and mount differently and the bottom of the VZ gauges sits very close to ducting beind the dash.Those gauges would have matched my calais dash exactly.Also the VZ gauges have an unusual electrical connector to do your wiring too.

The NVU kit mentioned in my prior post fixes all those problems. It is modified for VY, and matches the VY Calais cluster perfectly, and the needles light up the same as the dash ones. And it's about $400 cheaper than anything from JHP, even though the actual gauges are identical. They're genuine GM.

vy_acclaim

Reaction score
Members Ride
HBD VYII Acclaim
D

DeacoN-FrosT

I inquired at a holden dealership and the cost for them to purchase & fit a vy ss s2 ute (my car) is $700.

clixanup

Has Left
Reaction score
DeacoN-FrosT said:
I inquired at a holden dealership and the cost for them to purchase & fit a vy ss s2 ute (my car) is $700.
They'll be the HSV ones which don't match your dash cluster and have needles which aren't lit. For $495, you can get something which (IMO) looks much better, and the gauges are fully lit. Refer to my post above...

Aggro_VE

The Overseer
Reaction score
Members Ride
A lazy VE
clixanup said:
The NVU kit mentioned in my prior post fixes all those problems. It is modified for VY, and matches the VY Calais cluster perfectly, and the needles light up the same as the dash ones. And it's about $400 cheaper than anything from JHP, even though the actual gauges are identical. They're genuine GM.

That I didn't know...