Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY Series II Wagon 3.8 litre Fuel Lines from Fuel Pump Module

Lionelgee

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commordore Executive Wagon
Hello All,

Can some one please confirm whether I have reconnected the fuel lines properly on my VY Series II Commodore station wagon after a few weeks between dropping the tank and reinstalling it?

Looking from the tailgate and looking forwards towards the engine.

The Left line goes to what is probably an anti-pollution vapor rectangular tank
The centre line goes to the fuel filter then towards the motor
The Right line could be a fuel return line from the injector pump

The left line is dry
Both the middle and right lines carry fuel

Is this the correct arrangement?

I had to replace the fuel pump/module and I did not think that there would be such a long break between dropping the tank and fitting a new fuel module and refitting the tank. So I did not label the fuel lines at the time - Doh! Lesson learnt there.

Kind regards
Lionel

Attachments

• Fuel Module Circuit.jpg
    Fuel Module Circuit.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 162

Lionelgee

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hello Fu Manchu, Thank you. It turns things going skewiff was not down to me. The online retailer's "Suitability" chart is wrong. The fuel pump assembly 2000 -2004 part number FP9175.ASSY vehicles does not match my fuel gauge. The 2002-2004 one - part number FP9177.ASSY is the correct fit for my car. I thought I might have put a pipe on wrong. Kind regards Lionel

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
The trade secret is to
“All ways Mark the hoses/connections” so they don’t get mixed up.
Either with a permanent marker, or a auto centre punch. or similar.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
I remembered,
I think that the Series 1 and 2 fuel tank units were a bit different,
Not sure why they changed the configuration,
Hmm, I guess, because they could, and they wanted too.

Lionelgee

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hello All,
Well after sitting in the local mail distribution center for the past three days - the new and correct fuel pump assembly arrived this morning. Hooray.

Unfortunately, I will not be able to work on the car until mid-next week. It will be the fourth time I drop the fuel tank to fit a new fuel assembly to the car. Yes - it should be a very quick turn-around. Practice makes perfect they reckon!

Lesson learnt. If the online spare parts provider does not include a VIN number check on the part I am ordering I will go elsewhere. Online "suitability" checks are useless without confirming the VIN. Okay the last two fuel assemblies did physically fit into the mounting slots.. The fuel pump indeed worked. However it did not make the fuel gauge work properly. I suppose Meatloaf did sing about how 'two out of three ain't bad'. Except when you want to know how much fuel is in the your car!

Fingers crossed that when the tank is dropped and the new fuel assembly is installed that I go back to having a very, very accurate fuel gauge again. I have had the VY since 2015 and up until early this year it had the most accurate fuel gauge that any of my previous cars had. It was the fuel pump side of things that played up - not the fuel gauge itself that started me on this saga.

So be very - very wary of online "suitability" spare parts calculators! If it does not specifically mention the VIN ... run away - as in how Iron Maiden sang... "run to the hills - run for your life...'

Oh - a couple of years ago I did send a vehicle's VIN to an overseas supplier to make sure that the power steering pump I ordered did fit my car. The' VIN number was recieved by the company and they acknowledge it. Then they proceeded to send me the wrong power steering pump. There was a mid-year model change. The newer model had a different engine and power steering pump fitted to it. The shape of the power steering pump had also changed. Literally trying to fit a square shape (late model) into a round hole (early and correct model). However, that is another story ... Now what is a song verse that fits this situation" Hmmm ... Kevin B. Wilson ... "Your supposed to ---- help. Not make it --- hard ... Operator 42....

Kind regards
Lionel

Last edited:

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Hello All,
Well after sitting in the local mail distribution center for the past three days - the new and correct fuel pump assembly arrived this morning. Hooray.

Unfortunately, I will not be able to work on the car until mid-next week. It will be the fourth time I drop the fuel tank to fit a new fuel assembly to the car. Yes - it should be a very quick turn-around. Practice makes perfect they reckon!

Lesson learnt. If the online spare parts provider does not include a VIN number check on the part I am ordering I will go elsewhere. Online "suitability" checks are useless without confirming the VIN. Okay the last two fuel assemblies did physically fit into the mounting slots.. The fuel pump indeed worked. However it did not make the fuel gauge work properly. I suppose Meatloaf did sing about how 'two out of three ain't bad'. Except when you want to know how much fuel is in the your car!

Fingers crossed that when the tank is dropped and the new fuel assembly is installed that I go back to having a very, very accurate fuel gauge again. I have had the VY since 2015 and up until early this year it had the most accurate fuel gauge that any of my previous cars had. It was the fuel pump side of things that played up - not the fuel gauge itself that started me on this saga.

So be very - very wary of online "suitability" spare parts calculators! If it does not specifically mention the VIN ... run away - as in how Iron Maiden sang... "run to the hills - run for your life...'

Oh - a couple of years ago I did send a vehicle's VIN to an overseas supplier to make sure that the power steering pump I ordered did fit my car. The' VIN number was recieved by the company and they acknowledge it. Then they proceeded to send me the wrong power steering pump. There was a mid-year model change. The newer model had a different engine and power steering pump fitted to it. The shape of the power steering pump had also changed. Literally trying to fit a square shape (late model) into a round hole (early and correct model). However, that is another story ... Now what is a song verse that fits this situation" Hmmm ... Kevin B. Wilson ... "Your supposed to ---- help. Not make it --- hard ... Operator 42....

Kind regards
Lionel
When installing these pumps, did you clean the both sides of the wiring connections?

I replaced the pump on my vt a few months ago. Pump was working, just the fuel gauge wasn't working. While l was down there, l checked the wiring connections. They where filthy, with crap everywhere. Cleaned them up, reassembled everything, car started & fuel gauge works.

Hope you sort it.

Lionelgee

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hello All,

I ordered the new fuel pump assembly for my VY Commodore in May. Yes, the new and this time correct fuel assembly has arrived and is now installed. I have not had these two displays on the instrument cluster since May. Yes the fuel gauge is back to being accurate again. Previously the incorrect fuel pump assembly showed the level of fuel at over full when it should have showed only 1/4 and the Distance to Empty was at it maximum distance at 1/4 full. At last I have two accurate readings about the fuel and distance measurements! The main reason I got started on this saga was that I needed to replace the Commodore's fuel pump. The new fuel assembly's pump is working well too! So it is back to scoring three out of three. Kind regards Lionel
Distance to Empty.jpg

Attachments

• Working Fuel Gauge.jpg
    Working Fuel Gauge.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 82