Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY Series upgrade

Dowling_s

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
VY2 SS
Does anyone have any experience on the Holden Audio upgrade? Is it any good for the $1200.00 they are asking for it? Does the Standard head unit (6 Stacker) have any RCA out connections?

Scotty

R

RacerX

I checked it out whn I bought my VY II S Pack as I wanted to connect an MP3 player. The holden CD Stacker is a replacement unit not just a head unit.

Both Standard and 6 stack have no conventional conenctions for anything. ie will not even connect to blaupunkt MP3 microdrive unit that normally connects to the CD head Unit connection on all other blaupunkt CD players. (According to blaupunkt Dealers That I wantd to buy something from.)

I have seen lately and posted here the following other options.

1. A Din compatible moulded plastic replacment for the CD player. (See VY Forum) Looks like a factory part so wont degrade the apperance.

2. A control converter for the Steering wheel controls to work on most cd player (Sony Panasonioc etc) common units in an Autobarn or simular catalogue $ 199.

Marks-VY

I love cars
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Berlina
I recommend keeping the original head unit due to the steering wheel controls and din size. You could upgrade to the stacker though, pick them up through ebay or similar. The original unit has good sound quality although it could always do with some boosting......

I added an 800watt amplifier and JBL 300watt 6x9 speakers in the rear parcel shelf. I found the easiet way was to use the speaker wires to the rear door speakers, and connect them to the amp via a hi-low signal reducer (pick them up from Strathfield Car Radios or similar).

I ran a huge live wire direct from the battery (via an in-line fuse), through the fire-wall at the point where all the other wiring loom passes through, under the carpet, direct to the amp (under the passenger seat). The switchable live can be picked up from the head unit, accessories or you can cheat like me and put a small switch inside the centre console. This way I can run the front speakers for quiet music and when the engine is not running, or crank it up via the switch. 800watts can drain the battery pretty quickly if it is turned up!!

The rear speaker holes are already pre-cut and it does not take much to knock out the panels. I also recommend purchasing the original speaker grilles for the parcel shelf to keep it looking original and clean. Running the speaker cable from the amp is easy once the rear seats are out, again feeding them under the carpet.

I am very happy with the results, although the amp has a sub out which I want to use as soon as I work out where to put the speakers.... Also, the amp has a cooling fan which I can hear if there is no music so I might be moving the amp to the boot.

Regards,
Mark.