Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY SS Faulty PIM Diagnosis RESOLVED

brado1357

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS LS1
Hi, I've got a VY SS LS1 Auto.
No crank, no ignition, no power windows, and no power to the OBD port.
Both BCM and PIM have 12V and good ground.
From what I can tell the OBD port gets power from the PIM so I assume this is faulty.
I externally powered the OBD power pin and this caused the immobilizer light to start flashing and the power window relay to click.

My question is where to from here?
Is there any way to confirm the PIM is faulty?
Can the PIM be replaced or does it have to be linked to the BCM and ECU?
Injectronics offers a PIM repair service, is this the best option? Anything New Zealand Based?

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Have you got the factory manual?

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi, I've got a VY SS LS1 Auto.
No crank, no ignition, no power windows, and no power to the OBD port.
Both BCM and PIM have 12V and good ground.
From what I can tell the OBD port gets power from the PIM so I assume this is faulty.
I externally powered the OBD power pin and this caused the immobilizer light to start flashing and the power window relay to click.

My question is where to from here?
Is there any way to confirm the PIM is faulty?
Can the PIM be replaced or does it have to be linked to the BCM and ECU?
Injectronics offers a PIM repair service, is this the best option? Anything New Zealand Based?
The PIM can be faulty.
The PIM does need to be linked.
Injectronics and services like theirs should be used as a primary option.

When @OldSkoolGP was poking around with the PIM in his thread he found so many cool things. It’s important that we repair what we can.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
I’ll give you the link. It has all the diagnostic flow charts.

I would also suggest doing some skilled searches on Diagnose Dan channel YouTube with similar conditions. Also the King, Scanner Danner (Paul Danner) will have videos covering similar conditions. What’s important to understand is the fault finding they go through isn’t specific to Holden etc. It is specific to the methods. Inferences can be made on what to check on yours and how.

It would be hard for me to sort your problem but an excellent learning experience for all.

I’ll do what I can with ideas. I’ll look into it all more.

When you are checking for voltage, are you checking from the front of the plug or the back? Always check from the back.

brado1357

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS LS1
I’ll give you the link. It has all the diagnostic flow charts.

I would also suggest doing some skilled searches on Diagnose Dan channel YouTube with similar conditions. Also the King, Scanner Danner (Paul Danner) will have videos covering similar conditions. What’s important to understand is the fault finding they go through isn’t specific to Holden etc. It is specific to the methods. Inferences can be made on what to check on yours and how.

It would be hard for me to sort your problem but an excellent learning experience for all.

I’ll do what I can with ideas. I’ll look into it all more.

When you are checking for voltage, are you checking from the front of the plug or the back? Always check from the back.
Cheers that’s a huge help will definitely look into these guys over the weekend.
I have been probing from the front with a fine probe but I did try the back of the obd port as you recommended because of a potential loose pin.
I supposed it doesn’t matter because everything has shown up fine but good habit to get into.
Thanks again for the link

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride

brado1357

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS LS1
That video has reminded me of something.
I brought the car with the engine out as a forgotten project.
One of the first things that happened was windscreen was replaced with the previous owner's insurance when I first got it and he needed the window up so I put a battery in it and wound the window up.
So the windows did work before the motor went in.
Maybe I've got a short in the loom or a sensor is plugged in wrong grounding the power.
Could that cause this issue?
Also when I first tried to start it I had forgotten the main engine to chassis earth maybe this fried something?

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
A weak point in the door harness can be where the rubber bit is between the body and the door. In particular the back of the plug where it goes into the car and joins the body loom.