Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY SS New Tyre Preference

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
You people are putting way to much faith in a little strip of rubber.

Please elaborate as your statement makes no sense.

GRPABT1

Jakstas' Warden
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN shitta
I can elaborate all day and you people still won't get it. 400odd newton meters multiplied by gearing and the convertor itself versus two small patches of rubber at low speeds. Seems simple to me what will happen if you stomp the go pedal.

Dr HaxZaw

Reaction score
Members Ride
R34 GT-T
i think what hes trying to say is that you can spend $1600 on a set of new tyres which will possibly give you grip for the first 5000ks if your lucky and then after that they will also break traction and last till about 20,000ks

the alternative being to spend $800 on a set of tyres which will lose grip when you flog them but if you look after them will last 40,000ks... surely im not the only one agreeing with him

VYSS_Black

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
i think what hes trying to say is that you can spend $1600 on a set of new tyres which will possibly give you grip for the first 5000ks if your lucky and then after that they will also break traction and last till about 20,000ks

the alternative being to spend $800 on a set of tyres which will lose grip when you flog them but if you look after them will last 40,000ks... surely im not the only one agreeing with him

And with that being said.. Here I come Kmart tyre and auto.. Steel belted radials..

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
I can elaborate all day and you people still won't get it. 400odd newton meters multiplied by gearing and the convertor itself versus two small patches of rubber at low speeds. Seems simple to me what will happen if you stomp the go pedal.

Maybe with a simple mind, I have more than 400nm and have no issue with traction under 100% throttle unless the tyres are getting old and hard.

And thats with a manual losing less power across the drivetrain than an auto.

You can talk it up all you like but I prove you wrong almost on a daily basis in my own car.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp

Also bullshit, I dont start to have traction issues with maxxis till they are about 25,000-30,000kms old which is a year of driving for me. And thats at $1000 a set.

Cheap **** tyres are dangerous and youre an idiot if you put them on your car. Its not just about acceleration traction its about braking and cornering traction. I dont want some tightarse running up the back of me or losing it on a corner because they were too jewish to buy semi decent tyres.

aaronevolution

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
TURISMO VZ SS 6.0

Stock SS' have 510nm of torque.

Also, I'm not saying I have problems losing traction.

GRPABT1

Jakstas' Warden
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN shitta
Yeah I knew it was more than 400nm, point still stands though.

I'm not advocating cheap rubber, and I understand the need for cornering, high speed grip etc etc. This is why I buy basically race rubber to deal with 500+hp. What I'm saying is even if you do buy the most expensive street tyres I highly doubt that you will be able to stomp the go pedal from a stand still and be slingshotted off into the sunset. Buy good rubber but also drive with a modicum of respect for the fact that tyres aren't infallible. Your previous comments about manufacturers making cars so they can't easily break traction is foolhardy. Remember back to the series one VN V6 and little old ladies reporting of uncontrollable wheelspin? It doesn't take much to overcome the grip of the average street tyre. Low profile tyres that are on modern cars are even worse from a stand still as the contact patch is even smaller.

Good rubber is remarkably better than cheap ling longs, I'll never go back to using normal tyres again. But I'm also aware that I'll never be able to use full throttle in 1st gear on the street. It shouldn't be that bad in a stock SS no but it's not a certainty that it won't smoke the rears. Give me the keys and I'll bet you I can light em up easily :D

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Yeah I knew it was more than 400nm, point still stands though.

I'm not advocating cheap rubber, and I understand the need for cornering, high speed grip etc etc. This is why I buy basically race rubber to deal with 500+hp. What I'm saying is even if you do buy the most expensive street tyres I highly doubt that you will be able to stomp the go pedal from a stand still and be slingshotted off into the sunset. Buy good rubber but also drive with a modicum of respect for the fact that tyres aren't infallible. Your previous comments about manufacturers making cars so they can't easily break traction is foolhardy. Remember back to the series one VN V6 and little old ladies reporting of uncontrollable wheelspin? It doesn't take much to overcome the grip of the average street tyre. Low profile tyres that are on modern cars are even worse from a stand still as the contact patch is even smaller.

Good rubber is remarkably better than cheap ling longs, I'll never go back to using normal tyres again. But I'm also aware that I'll never be able to use full throttle in 1st gear on the street. It shouldn't be that bad in a stock SS no but it's not a certainty that it won't smoke the rears. Give me the keys and I'll bet you I can light em up easily :D

How does having a lower profile equal less rubber on the road? You dont drive on your sidewalls. The reason low profiles are more prone to wheelspin is the increased rigidity of the sidewall therefore reducing its ability to absorb the shock of initial torque. The contact patch is actually improved on modern cars as tyre width these days is wider than cars of old from factory. That and traction control is pretty much standard now.

Anyone can light the tyres on purpose as Ive stated numerous times by being brutal, but the rest of us can launch sensibly and sustain 100% throttle in 1st gear and beyone while holding traction with reasonable horsepower. (around 315rwhp in my case)