Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY SS Suspension Rattle/Noise - Stumped

gino001

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 vy 5.7l ss Commodore
I had the same problem. Turned out I had a slight wear mark on my rubber seals which caused the squeak pit new rubbers in no more squeak.

matdahler

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore 3.8L V6
Had a rattle in the rear of my Vy. The rear brake pads were not a tight fit in the callipers and chattered up and down. Foot on brake pedal while driving, the noise stopped.replaced brake pads with good quality ones.

freefallin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina / VZ SS LS1
I was gonna say the hand brake cable but im amazed you even covered that. Try getting under the car a hitting the inside of the rear tires to cause it to vibrate in order to mimic the sound.

VTSSDUDE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L Commodore.
In relation to what matdahler said. Have you touching the brake pedal just enough to engage the pads whilst driving? Also try pulling handbrake lever up to first knotch, (not all of the way lol) to see if maybe it could be something loose inside your rear disc handbrake drum assembly. Even still, sometimes you may need to remove the discs to check in side to see if there is anything floating around.
Might be quicker then dismantling your whole rear end.

jokerflingo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VY SS 2003 - 6 Speed Manual
I was gonna say the hand brake cable but im amazed you even covered that. Try getting under the car a hitting the inside of the rear tires to cause it to vibrate in order to mimic the sound.

I was sure that was the noise i was hearing unless its further up under the exhaust heat shield where i haven't put anything around it because its difficult to access?

In relation to what matdahler said. Have you touching the brake pedal just enough to engage the pads whilst driving? Also try pulling handbrake lever up to first knotch, (not all of the way lol) to see if maybe it could be something loose inside your rear disc handbrake drum assembly. Even still, sometimes you may need to remove the discs to check in side to see if there is anything floating around.
Might be quicker then dismantling your whole rear end.

Ill give it a shot mate, thanks for your input, much appreciated :)

jokerflingo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VY SS 2003 - 6 Speed Manual
I am amazed guys, had a lean on the front end yesterday, it made a noise, turns out both strut top mounts were shagged, replaced them both and all my troubles are gone.

Thanks again.
Matt.