Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vy SS Ute...Wouldn't go into gear whilst driving

JNYGRL

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute 5.7
Hi was wondering if anyone could help me out , have had my VY SS ute for just under a year now had no problems with it thenow the other day whilst driving it wouldn't change in to second gear .Pulled over and would go in to any gear .Took to a mechanic said he started it in gear and said it's fine.
Have been driving it since but seems a bit dodgy .Tonight driving home it wouldn't change into 3rd gear but trying it a second time it did.
I don't trust there's something up...Hopefully minor..Has done 205k kms
Anyone know anything about this??

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
The T56 gearbox in the V8's is not known for being the smoothest shifting of gearboxes around anyway.
As you say it has happened trying to change into 2nd and now 3rd gear as well, it probably isn't an issue with the gearbox itself.
It sounds like the clutch has now worn to a point where it is getting difficult to change gears smoothly and should be replaced.
Try changing the gearbox oil and the clutch fluid first and see how it goes after that.
If it doesn't improve after changing those fluids, take it to another mechanic and get a second opinion

Last edited:

JNYGRL

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute 5.7
Oh good to know clutch must be on the way out have owned for just under a year and have never found it smooth.Clutch must be on way out .Will change fluids and see how it goes .Thanks

H

harrop.senator

If its not slipping its more then likely a hydraulic clutch issue not the plates themselves. How low is the clutch fluid and does it feel oily?

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
If it grates going into reverse I'd look at the hydraulics not pushing the clutch in far enough not that I've ever played with a commodore clutch changed a slave cylinder on a jackaroo the other day for that reason not that means much

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Voting for clutch slave/cylinder probably needs a good flush & re-bleed system if it has not been done in ages,pop cap if looks like cruddy black watery it's way overdue.

Other than if it was stock clutch you'd notice burnt clutch fragrance in cabin or pedal pulses/sinks with heavy throttle

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
[QUOTE="gtrboyy, post: 2898973, member: 21948"
Other than if it was stock clutch you'd notice burnt clutch fragrance in cabin or pedal pulses/sinks with heavy throttle[/QUOTE]

Now that you have mentioned those symptoms it's jogged my memory:
When my stock clutch was shot I never had any of the common symptoms that many other people have. No smell or anything else. It just progressively got harder to select gears over time, but it never actually slipped. When I replaced the clutch, the old clutch plate friction material was actually worn to within a poofteenth of a c##t hair of the rivets in the clutch plate....still amazes me that it never actually slipped when giving it a boot full.