Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY strut brace issues

Killswitch

Reaction score
Members Ride
WL HSV Grange
And there's not difference in bonnet.

I have fitted them to vt vx vy now. Same bar with no issue.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Just had a look at the cross brace on my Monaro, I measured 37mm as the distance between the top of the plastic engine cover and the bottom of the brace on my V2.

dopey666

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY ss
mesured the gap from engine cover to bottom of the brace and its around 45-50.. so its sitting high .. and yeah its been in a minor crash on the passanger front so thinking that may have somthing to do with it... thinking mebe its time for a new shell and rebuild.. then i can build it how i want anyways.. :)

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
Don't bother measuring the gap between the strut brace and engine cover, reason being the engine mounts sag which will make the gap different, so you cant use that as a comparison between two cars.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
OK, maybe my measurement theory may have a flaw, but the point I am trying to make is that, perhaps, there is a problem with the brace, not the bonnet.
Try this, put a straight-edge on top of the brace so that it extends across past the strut towers...measure the distance between this straight-edge and the mounting plate where the outer bolts are.
Mine is 80mm both sides.

Surfwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
AMG Mercedes C63 Wagon
Just fitted one of these genuine Holden strut braces to my sons VY Berlina and it just dropped straight onto the strut tower studs and has plenty of clearence with the bonnet.
Before fitting the brace he has driven the car quite hard and fitted Kings springs etc and obviously there are no problems with cars rigidity prior to fitting the brace.
All I can say is there must be something not right with the OP's car if the the brace wont' fit and or hits the bonnet.

dopey666

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY ss
yeah the car has been in an accident but i didn't think it would affect it as much as it has... its only just rubbing so i think ill just put up with it till i get a new car..

Surfwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
AMG Mercedes C63 Wagon
yeah the car has been in an accident but i didn't think it would affect it as much as it has... its only just rubbing so i think ill just put up with it till i get a new car..

Maybe they fitted a new strut tower and its a little higher than before the accident.
Is it rubbing on the metal or just the under bonnet insulation.
If it's only the insulation I wouldn't worry at all.

dopey666

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY ss
its rubbing on the support on the bonnet.. its only just rubbing but its enuff to make the bonnet not sit perfect..

mr calais 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s 2003
Did the bonnet sit flush all the way around before you put the strut brace on? You could put a washer each side on the hinges between the bonnet to lift it a few more mm if that helps