Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vy sv8 stalled after battery re connect

Marky89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
I went to go look at a car yesterday, and the guy said he dis connects the battery because they don't drive it anymore because they bought a new car. Now when we connected the battery back up and started the car, it stalled when idleing. But only once.

I had an racv check done, they said car is in good shape and recommend me to go ahead with purchase.
The racv inspector said it stalled once of initial start up, suspect due to battery disconnect.
Now I've read somewhere that this is common for cars, as the car needs to re learn the idle position and all that when the battery gets reconnected.

Do I have anything to worry about?

The racv inspection didn't find any other mechanical faults.

franklinfrog

Reaction score
Website
www.cheapbrisbanebikes.com
Members Ride
VY SS Wagon 5.7 Auto Wikid Postie Bike
Seems unusual, I disconnect my battery all the time and it never stalls afterwards. I reconnect battery, fire it up, warm up a bit and thrash it like hell to check everything is working.

Trying to think of a battery related reason that it might stall, but can't really....... once running alternator should power it plenty.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Both my VX's (5.7's) will run really rough first start after having the battery disconnected (almost to stall) then second start they are perfect again.

Big-Al

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 5.7 M6
Could be that the ECU has to relearn the idle speed. Disconnecting the battery for any length of time has the same result as reseting the ECU.

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
I went to go look at a car yesterday, and the guy said he dis connects the battery because they don't drive it anymore because they bought a new car. Now when we connected the battery back up and started the car, it stalled when idleing. But only once.

I had an racv check done, they said car is in good shape and recommend me to go ahead with purchase.
The racv inspector said it stalled once of initial start up, suspect due to battery disconnect.
Now I've read somewhere that this is common for cars, as the car needs to re learn the idle position and all that when the battery gets reconnected.

Do I have anything to worry about?

The racv inspection didn't find any other mechanical faults.

This question looks familiar.....
If I disconnect the battery, I have to turn the key to the "on" position and leave it for about a minute, switch off and leave for a further minute before starting. If I don't do this, The car will either not start, or it wont run properly. The PCM has to re learn the settings.