Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vy thermostat

peanutz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 commodore equip 11 3.8 ecotech auto
Could some one advise me on the thermostat gasket. I bought a tridon TTG46 to put on my VY. However they do not seem to line up properly with bolt holes and bleeder hole. Is there another type of gasket l can put on instead of this cardboard cut out rubbish.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Could some one advise me on the thermostat gasket. I bought a tridon TTG46 to put on my VY. However they do not seem to line up properly with bolt holes and bleeder hole. Is there another type of gasket l can put on instead of this cardboard cut out rubbish.

Just poke a hole in it and fit it.
It's a generic gasket.

If you're that pedantic, maybe go to the Holden parts dealer, many dealers still hold the parts licence for the parts after the close down.
Then you can pay an over priced and inflated amount for another paper gasket with the holes poked in the right location.

peanutz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Just poke a hole in it and fit it.
It's a generic gasket.

If you're that pedantic, maybe go to the Holden parts dealer, many dealers still hold the parts licence for the parts after the close down.
Then you can pay an over priced and inflated amount for another paper gasket with the holes poked in the right location.

peanutz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah l did but it seems l have sprank a leak.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo

peanutz

Reaction score
Members Ride
That is possible.
I replaced about a week ago, and l noticed leaking through the bolt holes and on the joins. Took it off two days ago cleaned all the bolt holes thoroughly and bolts and all. Put it back together and all seemed well until l checked it again today. And low and behold. Yeah l think it has a warp in it. Lwill give it another change tomorrow and see. If it still exists l will replace the lot. Love my VY be lost without it !

peanutz

Reaction score
Members Ride
I replaced about a week ago, and l noticed leaking through the bolt holes and on the joins. Took it off two days ago cleaned all the bolt holes thoroughly and bolts and all. Put it back together and all seemed well until l checked it again today. And low and behold. Yeah l think it has a warp in it. Lwill give it another change tomorrow and see. If it still exists l will replace the lot. Love my VY be lost without it !
Thanks Mate for your replies, yours Peanutz

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
The self adhesive type? I found those hit and miss. Definitely recommend replacing the housing if it's never been, I also recommend using OEM gaskets like from speeds and applying aviation sealant on both sides. Also be sure to torque them, two pass 20 then 34nm. This is where leaks usually stem from on alloy

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo

You could try and sand it on some sand paper glued to glass.

Reactions: Lex