Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[General] [VY/VZ] Everything to know about Changing Clusters!

Mavericks Choice

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV M6, VF2 LS3 Calais V, VZ 6L M6 Crewie
Thanks Taz will be looking out for it!

julespatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
Subaru liberty
Hey Taz does your software calibrate the dials?
I fried a VZ SS instrument cluster while doing a software update through SPS this morning. SPS recognises it's there but wont reprogram now, so I went out and bought another secondhand unit, changed the coloured backing plate and now am trying to calibrate the dials correctly.
I'll be back at the workshop to do it again tomorrow morning as the lady needed her car so she's only got the digital speedo on at the moment.
Any help from all of you is greatly appreciated :)

VYCALAISUTE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S3 Ute
What would I need to do if I bought a 3window cluster that was already programmed. Can I just bolt it straight in and plug it in. I'd be putting a Calais cluster into a base VY ute

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
What would I need to do if I bought a 3window cluster that was already programmed. Can I just bolt it straight in and plug it in. I'd be putting a Calais cluster into a base VY ute

Nothing. Plug and play.

As long as the odometer, airbag configurations, body and engine configurations, are all programmed, it plugs straight in.

My Berlina Cluster in my VY Executive.

whzGvF6flxQNZ2reLRhMkYg1JNzADDMmfq6MVfLEf4s

s_ikari2015

Fun IS easier with an 8
Reaction score
Members Ride
'02 Monaro V2 CV8, '90 Toyota Sera
Hi Tazzi, I'm putting a WK cluster into a series 1 V2 CV8 Monaro (VX). The fuel gauge works fine (yay) but I was wondering about error messages that are coming up.
The SRS errors, do they go through the BCM? If so will the VX BCM put out the wrong signal for the WK cluster thus causing the error?
Also alarm activated errors. Is this from the security warning wire on the WK cluster? The VX doesn't have a wire but if it were simply a matter of the right voltage on that wire I could easily sort that.

Finally, how does the WK dash detect rear lamp and lamp fuse failures, and does that go through the serial data wire or is there another wire?

Thanks heaps.

Trayner

Fresh prince of Pakky, Gangsta
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gangsta Hundy
Hi tazzi , been meaning to tweak the dash on my one tonner .

What setting do I pick ? , the cab chassis or the ute ?

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
Hi Tazzi, I'm putting a WK cluster into a series 1 V2 CV8 Monaro (VX). The fuel gauge works fine (yay) but I was wondering about error messages that are coming up.
The SRS errors, do they go through the BCM? If so will the VX BCM put out the wrong signal for the WK cluster thus causing the error?
Also alarm activated errors. Is this from the security warning wire on the WK cluster? The VX doesn't have a wire but if it were simply a matter of the right voltage on that wire I could easily sort that.

Finally, how does the WK dash detect rear lamp and lamp fuse failures, and does that go through the serial data wire or is there another wire?

Thanks heaps.
Ahhhh, interesting job!. Im sure as you have seen,there are more pins on a VY cluster then there is on a VX.. so you have to get creative with keeping everything happy. Also note, the communication between a VY and VX is different, as in the messages sent on the comms line differ between VZ and VY which is a reason why some weird and random warnings pop up on the cluster.

I know if I simulate VX comms into a VY, I get all sorts of errors. Whereas if I simulate VY comms to a VY cluster along with correct fuel ohms reading, the cluster works without any probems.

Hi tazzi , been meaning to tweak the dash on my one tonner .

What setting do I pick ? , the cab chassis or the ute ?
One tonner's come under a cab chassis :beer chug:

lowrider

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Lots of very good information is here however the anacdotal evidence of the last digits of the serial number in engineering mode matching the VIN is infactual and incorrect.The serial # of the cluster is the serial number of that cluster, nothing to do with the VIN however the serial # can be referenced *against* the VIN.Hope this clears that up.