Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[General] [VY/VZ] Everything to know about Changing Clusters!

Ghost

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Commodore berlina Sedan 1996
The best and easiest way would be to convert it to v6 and to swap the entire dash and wiring harness over its a big job but once its finished it would be one of a kind

Sent From My Root'd Rom'd & Overclock'd Galaxy S3

SVTato

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz SV6 with statesman/caprice front end.
There is a EH with a VY/VZ cluster in it and its a 6.2L I think. Looks pretty awesome.

kellyboi92

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais S2
Changing LCD

Hey i have a VY Series 2 Calais and the middle LCD is not displaying anything, I have been told that this i a common issue. Do you know if i can just change the LCD or does the whole Dash Cluster need replacing? If i can replace it do you know if i could use a LCD screen from a VZ Acclaim Series 1?

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
Hey i have a VY Series 2 Calais and the middle LCD is not displaying anything, I have been told that this i a common issue. Do you know if i can just change the LCD or does the whole Dash Cluster need replacing? If i can replace it do you know if i could use a LCD screen from a VZ Acclaim Series 1?

Its not that common, but iv noticed it happens in cars with "decent" stereo systems. Not sure why it occurs but the middle LCD tends to slowly fade away.
Assuming it is the LCD that is the issue, you might be able to simply desolder it and resolder another one from a donating cluster.
The LCD's look the same between the VY's and VZ's, but cant say for certain if they will work, never needed to swap LCD's between different models.. Id suggest looking for a VY cluster.

kellyboi92

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais S2
No worries cheers to that TazzI, I have been told on my personal post about this issue that you are the man to talk to! I am honestly contemplating just getting a new cluster although i want it to display the original KMS. Do you know if i replace it with another one that you would be able to tell? i have been told that when a cluster is replaced the car will beep when turned on with out any error messages as a sign produced by holden for a non standard cluster. is this correct?

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
No worries cheers to that TazzI, I have been told on my personal post about this issue that you are the man to talk to! I am honestly contemplating just getting a new cluster although i want it to display the original KMS. Do you know if i replace it with another one that you would be able to tell? i have been told that when a cluster is replaced the car will beep when turned on with out any error messages as a sign produced by holden for a non standard cluster. is this correct?
Not sure where you got told that? As the cluster doesnt beep or have problems unless it is no configured properly for the car eg airbags, fuel configs ect. Most of the clusters I come past have the wrong airbag config for the car and give the infamous message "SRS Warning" message on startup, to which the current owner was told.. or claims, that they bought it like that and a scantool picked up nothing.
This is a DIRECT indication that it is the cluster that has incorrect SRS config, as it does not show in any scantool for some reason. And in saying that, its also a indication that it is not the original cluster to the car!

My suggestion to EVERYONE when buying a vy/vz, is to check the SERIAL No that is found in the engineer mode (hold mode+set and turn key to on.. dont have to start car). That 6 digit number should match the last 6 digits of the car... if it does not.. then it is not the original cluster for that car.

So the answer to your question is yes someone can tell if the cluster is the original by the serial number.
Feel free to send me a pm if you'd like to know more.

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
Updated with a few more common questions and answers!
Q: Anychance that your software can program keys or re-link bcm?
A: On the way.

Q: Can I turn the SRS light off permanently so it doesn't turn on and display the error?
A: Not a chance, is no setting to disable this issue, for those doing custom installs, you need additional hardware to disable this chatter, feel free to pm me.

Q: Im a wrecker and deal with alot of bcm's,pcm's and keys. Can I use your program on every module?
A: Yes and no. Program will lock to the first bcm that it uses to code a key/request security info. This is done for security reasons.
Although on all modules it will bring up details such as date/type/VAP ect.

Ghost

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Commodore berlina Sedan 1996
My question is have you finished the program yet

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

anarklov3r

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 WM Caprice
The SRS warning can be turned off with a tech2, i had a dodgy auto elec do it to my car when he couldnt figure out why my 4 airbag system kept showing SRS warming when he set it to 4 loop (he didnt know it needed to be 6 loop to count the pre tensioners) so he just turned it off. When i got my own Tech2 i had to turn it back on and change to a 6 loop.