Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vz 3.6 into rodeo can be done

Deo Deo

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 Rodeo
Rodeo is a 3ltr? and the dropping a 3.6ltr in and running with 3ltr software isn't going to be ideal.
No mate, my rodeo is a 3.6 alloytec, just trying to find out how compatible the alloytecs from commodores are, if at all.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Well. Should be ok then.

Tarts

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais & RA 3.6 Rodeo
What has not been mentioned here is there are two engines to use and the hardest one has been chosen.

OP has been using an LY7.

LE0 is what they should have used allowing relative sensors etc to be swapped. The LE0 is the basic feature engine which among a few things, only has two cam position sensors and two cam actuators.

The external size will be the same. It’s the internal volume that differs.
My LE0 is burning a heap of oil so I’m looking at replacing it with the VZ SV6 motor.
I know the variable cam timing is different but I was going to try and run the VZ ECU and engine loom and hope that it runs fine.
Would this work or can anyone explain if I’d need to do anything else?
Cheers

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Would this work or can anyone explain if I’d need to do anything else?
If it's anything like a Commodore the VZ ECU needs to be linked by Tech 2. Differences between the Commodore and Isuzu implementation haven't really been documented.

Tarts

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais & RA 3.6 Rodeo
If it's anything like a Commodore the VZ ECU needs to be linked by Tech 2. Differences between the Commodore and Isuzu implementation haven't really been documented.
Thanks for that mate. Can you please explain linking with the Tech 2?
I’m not Holden savvy by any means.
I understand VATS will have to be removed but as far as I can find by all the digging I’ve been doing:

Drop VZ motor in
Use VZ ecu and loom
Delete VATS off ECU

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Nope. You can’t get a LY7 running on an LE0 and have anything but problems.

From a technical perspective the LE0 and LY7 swap may as well be as complicated as an LS swap. I say that even though they are both versions of the same motor.

At best you’ll have an LY7 running below its best and may see engine damage with long term use being run off the LE0 ECM.

You’re going to piss a heap of your time and money against a wall.

I know it’s been done before but as above. Long term problems.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
The closest I've found for VATS removal is Justcomm/Car-Tronics saying they can remove VATS from a VE/VF E39 and E39A ECU. The Alloytec Bosch ECUs are completely different to the Delco ECUs used for the previous V6s and the Delphi ECUs for the LSs and have not been fully implemented in many programs like HP Tuners for various reasons including lack of R&D and Bosch security. I feel like there might be some cross over with a lot of Euro tuners who deal with Bosch systems (not just the flash tuners), but it's pretty likely if you present them with a Commodore/Isuzu/Rodeo it will fall into the too hard basket.

Tech 2 is used to link the new ECU to the car's existing BCM if the Rodeos have that or some equivalent - this is what no-VATS gets around. Pretty sure you need the VIN of the donor, there may be some unlinking services you can pay for.

If you don't want to dick around you'd be better off just replacing it with another LE0 and just using the looms and electronics already in the Rodeo.

Last edited:

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Also, the VZ ECU is probably the worst to use anyway, they've been failing in epidemic proportions for years. If the Rodeo is manual it would probably make sense to obtain a manual ECU as well if you hadn't considered that, there are differences in the tune and how the ECU is configured - mainly so it doesn't look like the electronic automatic is completely missing. I only mention this as there's a price premium on some earlier manual ECUs - the ECU is specific to the transmission type if you don't want to go down the rabbit hole of having that reconfigured to work.

Last edited:

kev21

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden rodeo 3.6
Nope. You can’t get a LY7 running on an LE0 and have anything but problems.

From a technical perspective the LE0 and LY7 swap may as well be as complicated as an LS swap. I say that even though they are both versions of the same motor.

At best you’ll have an LY7 running below its best and may see engine damage with long term use being run off the LE0 ECM.

You’re going to piss a heap of your time and money against a wall.

I know it’s been done before but as above. Long term problems.

kev21

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden rodeo 3.6
I did the swap about 18 months ago, Ute is running overall really well. I am wanting to change what I've done and instead of running the rodeo ECU, rather run the VE ECU and get the extra power the motor can produce.