Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VE] VZ and VE Alloytec PCV Problem/Fix

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
The design of the valve is to remove the oil vapours in a measured way. It’s a Venturi valve. No internal parts though.

You don’t want to creat a vacuum leak or problem either.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
On a side note to the crud on the PCV pipes/fittings,
I am having a P2197 issue at the moment,
So I pulled all the intake apart from the air box to all the way to the manifold and check/clean it all,
With that said, I found a buildup of oil in the MAF, and in the intake pipe,
But what I did find was the 2 Plastic PCV ports on either side of the manifold were almost completely blocked, so the PCV was not breathing correctly, be sucking the gases in to the intake manifold, which keeps the engine in a form of a vacuum.
I removed both of them and wasn’t able to see through them, so I got a drill bit the size of the holes (6mm) and used that to remove the crud,
The same crud as I find on the oil filter every time I change the oil.

Last edited:

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
So it might pay for me to edit into the original start of the thread to recommend the hoses are also cleaned out after doing the mod. The PCV pipes that connect are still available new and affordable. In the future they will have to be fabricated with vacuum hose pushed onto the pipe, or metal pipe and vacuum hose made up to suit.

• Cleaning the MAF with MAF cleaner. • Clean out the intake pipe with degreaser and water, let dry and install.
• Remove and clean out PCV hoses and piping with water and degreaser or compressed air. Let dry and install.
• Replace hard and brittle hoses and hose fittings.
• Make sure the air filter is clean.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
So it might pay for me to edit into the original start of the thread to recommend the hoses are also cleaned out after doing the mod. The PCV pipes that connect are still available new and affordable. In the future they will have to be fabricated with vacuum hose pushed onto the pipe, or metal pipe and vacuum hose made up to suit.

• Cleaning the MAF with MAF cleaner. • Clean out the intake pipe with degreaser and water, let dry and install.
• Remove and clean out PCV hoses and piping with water and degreaser or compressed air. Let dry and install.
• Replace hard and brittle hoses and hose fittings.
• Make sure the air filter is clean.

You knocked it on the head @Fu Manchu ;)

The Plastic Fittings that go into the Manifold on either sides, are screwed in, hence they are Allen key molded,
they also have small o-rings on them to seal them to the manifold.

Last edited:

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Some have plastic screw in. Some are pressed brass and some have ones that push on. Most of the LE0 should be pressed brass.

18vDrill_SkinOnly

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE SV6 Comm / 22 Ford Mustang 5.0l
The design of the valve is to remove the oil vapours in a measured way. It’s a Venturi valve. No internal parts though.

You don’t want to creat a vacuum leak or problem either.

I've noticed a subtle improvement post mod and would definitely recommend it to anyone who hasn't had it done yet. Not 100% certain if I'm deluding myself or not, but it feels a bit more responsive and less sluggish. All for 15 minutes or so of work.

Oh, I can find way easier ways to create vacuum leaks.. *cough* snapping an intake manifold bolt *cough*

Reminder to not set the torque wrench whilst being distracted by someone/something. You know, I should have jerried when I was turning it and even thinking, gee this going on for a bit...

Luckily a middle bolt and pretty sure there is enough poking out that I can spin it out with vice grips.

On the positive side, the intake manifold and throttle body are cleaner than ever.

One question arose from removing the intake manifold; the inlet closest the firewall on the driver side was pretty foul, the passenger side less so. The middle driver side was foul, the passenger less so. The front most inlet on the driver side was also foul but less than the other two on that side, the passenger side was fairly clean.

From a diagnostic perspective would this be saying anything? It seems the driver side bank is fouled quite a bit more than the passenger side. I've cleaned them all out now, and will review it after a while given I've modified the PCV valve. Interested to see if anything changes.

Last edited:

Just Damo

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 Omega, EA Fairmont (Restoration)
I've noticed a subtle improvement post mod and would definitely recommend it to anyone who hasn't had it done yet. Not 100% certain if I'm deluding myself or not, but it feels a bit more responsive and less sluggish. All for 15 minutes or so of work.

Oh, I can find way easier ways to create vacuum leaks.. *cough* snapping an intake manifold bolt *cough*

Reminder to not set the torque wrench whilst being distracted by someone/something. You know, I should have jerried when I was turning it and even thinking, gee this going on for a bit...

Luckily a middle bolt and pretty sure there is enough poking out that I can spin it out with vice grips.

On the positive side, the intake manifold and throttle body are cleaner than ever.

One question arose from removing the intake manifold; the inlet closest the firewall on the driver side was pretty foul, the passenger side less so. The middle driver side was foul, the passenger less so. The front most inlet on the driver side was also foul but less than the other two on that side, the passenger side was fairly clean.

From a diagnostic perspective would this be saying anything? It seems the driver side bank is fouled quite a bit more than the passenger side. I've cleaned them all out now, and will review it after a while given I've modified the PCV valve. Interested to see if anything changes.
I did the exact same thing haha still yet to easy out the bolt. But luckily for me I don't have a vacuum leak present. Got it tested to make sure, got the spare bolts to replace them but also gonna wait for a spacer and the time and space to do the work.

18vDrill_SkinOnly

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE SV6 Comm / 22 Ford Mustang 5.0l
I did the exact same thing haha still yet to easy out the bolt. But luckily for me I don't have a vacuum leak present. Got it tested to make sure, got the spare bolts to replace them but also gonna wait for a spacer and the time and space to do the work.

Lol it's very embarrassing when you hear it go bang hey... thankfully there's no vacuum leaks here either - spare bolt is on the way, should be here tomorrow. Gonna double check the torque settings before doing this.

I haven't got the intake manifold off yet - really wanna say it will be just vice grips to get it out, but yeah I reckon I'll be buying an easy out too lol. Mate, good luck hopefully it's an easy fix

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VT s2 Exec, VX Calais II L67
Bahh, Correct setting is one elbow twinge!