Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VE] VZ and VE Alloytec PCV Problem/Fix

DavesSV6Tonner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S V6 Cab & Chassis
Planning to do the PCV mod soon.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
Last edited:

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
Yes I have been told that driving them hard with a lot of high revs spews more oil into the intake pipe so no doubt into the catchcan too...
When you get up it Dirty Side (intake manifold) can`t handle it so oil (should be vapor) goes to the Clean Side pcv line and into the air intake (throttle body)

DavesSV6Tonner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S V6 Cab & Chassis
Performed the mod on my PCV today, however I noticed it's not a traditional PCV valve like we have in our older Holdens.
I think it would be better called a restrictor as it is just a hollow tube with specific sized holes to control the air flow.

I couldn't get the PCV out with pliers, vice grips or multi grips so I made up a puller out of a piece of 1" x 1" x 3.2mm steel angle iron.
Cut and folded the ends over and cut an 8mm wide slot in one end to slip over the PCV.
Used a small hammer to tap upwards on the opposite end of the tool and the PCV was out in about 5 seconds flat.
20191204_144603_resized.jpg

20191204_144520_resized.jpg

Mine is one owner just coming up to 150,000km. Sorry about the blurry pic.
20191204_143709_resized.jpg

20191204_143728_resized.jpg

Did the mods with the 3mm & 2mm drill bits. Cleaned her out with throttle body cleaner, applied some fresh Red threadlocker and used the tool and hammer to drive the PCV back into the rocker cover. Reconnect the pipe and job completed in about 20 minutes.

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
Performed the mod on my PCV today, however I noticed it's not a traditional PCV valve like we have in our older Holdens.
I think it would be better called a restrictor as it is just a hollow tube with specific sized holes to control the air flow.

I couldn't get the PCV out with pliers, vice grips or multi grips so I made up a puller out of a piece of 1" x 1" x 3.2mm steel angle iron.
Cut and folded the ends over and cut an 8mm wide slot in one end to slip over the PCV.
Used a small hammer to tap upwards on the opposite end of the tool and the PCV was out in about 5 seconds flat.
View attachment 208123
View attachment 208124
Mine is one owner just coming up to 150,000km. Sorry about the blurry pic.
View attachment 208125
View attachment 208126
Did the mods with the 3mm & 2mm drill bits. Cleaned her out with throttle body cleaner, applied some fresh Red threadlocker and used the tool and hammer to drive the PCV back into the rocker cover. Reconnect the pipe and job completed in about 20 minutes.
Don't forget to let us know if you notice any difference in performance/ idle etc .

scaredyet

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VZ Lumina Wagon
*Edit I just went into see my friend at a Holden parts dealer and gave the part number and was informed the part number I gave was for a VE. I ordered the part anyway and will report back here with the outcome.

found the GM part number for the pcv valve. Anyone know where to get it imported cheap into Australia or if Holden will have the part? It seems cheaper than the one posted earlier.

GM#12583384 or acdelco

Last edited:

DavesSV6Tonner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S V6 Cab & Chassis
Don't forget to let us know if you notice any difference in performance/ idle etc .

Having done the mod 3 days ago and since putting a few more K's on the clock my butt feeling is the engine idles smoother and the throttle response is slightly improved. The smaller of the two holes on the bottom of my PCV was 95% blocked so I wonder if this perceived improvement, especially in idle quality, may be attributed more to the rectification of a slow deterioration in engine performance due to the blocking of the holes with crud.
Perhaps the same improvements may be realised simply by cleaning the PCV?

All in all I believe the mod is a positive step.

scaredyet

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VZ Lumina Wagon
I just picked up the Fitting PCV from Holden. It's a Genuine part (GM# 12583384) Made in Canada. I'm not sure if it's the revised part with the bigger holes.

I Paid $40 from Holden Spare Parts in Sydney. So you can definitely get that part from here without having to buy the whole cover.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 490
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 480
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 473
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 509
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 489

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Pulled the PCV out of my engine this week to inspect the condition. Glad to see that after 275,000 it was still clear and I could see daylight through it. I drilled out the single hole in the top about 1mm bigger anyway.

Attachments

• IMG_20191212_123710777.jpg
    IMG_20191212_123710777.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 405

wannaeatyourbrains

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
OK, thanks for directing me here, immortality.

Although I pulled the motor apart to clean sludge, I never cleaned the PCV valve.

Mine is 235 000km, and still tight as. (I have to say, they are an awesome car. Last Holden I owned before this was an HZ wagon with 3 on the tree, ha ha, so this seems like the height of modernity. A four speed gearbox was my absolute dream as a young man. And I swear to god they are easier to pull apart and put back together than my fishing reel.)

But oil has been going up the air intake pipe like nobody's business, and there is a belch of smoke when I start it up.

I am going to pull it out now. This will be interesting.

Also, I see it is the same nice guys putting their heart into helping everyone out in every thread. Thanks a lot.