Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VE] VZ and VE Alloytec PCV Problem/Fix

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
The VE intake is clean as well.
4AF705C7-B752-4B7B-9CAC-7A1A0293B370.jpeg
260D0A8E-6F77-4CE3-BC85-4846750737C5.jpeg

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
B10AE125-8A03-4AA6-AE53-19C88265F5AA.jpeg

Throttle body, I’m happy with.

wannaeatyourbrains

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Catch of the day.

Slide1.JPG

That's what comes out when you open the tap. Very watery substance. Too runny to be just oil.

There was a surprising amount in there after just going down the shop and back a couple of times. About 100km.

No empirical result available, sorry. I was very inept at catching it. Spilled most of it first time round, wondering at what point the tap opens. Now I know. (Almost found myself looking down the barrel of the blow torch the other day as well, wondering where the spark went...)

Oil consumption is down. I was losing a fair bit before. It's not surprising, because not so long ago when I pulled the air intake (big one) off there would be oil actually pooled in there. In the place Fu Manchu is photographing.

That cleared up after I changed the timing chains and sump gasket. I thoroughly cleaned the exposed parts of the motor when I did it, and then changed the oil a few times after that. You have to change it every 5000 with the cheap oil anyway, manufacturer's recommendation on the bottle. Maybe better cleanliness cleared the ports a little even before I bored out the PCV valve?

Restoring the fuel system to perfect working order made it blow less oil too. As mentioned elsewhere, I had a seized fuel return valve, totally clogged fuel pump filter, the dirtiest fuel filter and injectors known to mankind, and one bad injector, stuck open. Dust gets in the fuel here too. I could see oil smoke coming out of the exhaust sometimes then, when the vacuum increased in the tank and it started starving for fuel.

All that stopped oil pooling in the air intake. But now, after boring out that valve, oil consumption is definitely down again. It's manageable now. So immortality was quite right, a surprising amount must be going up the air intake as vapour, even when it is not enough to pool, before you bore it out.

I have been curiously peering at the air intake pipes of a lot of old Alloytecs lately, since this thread piqued my interest. In wrecks, in the engine shops, and some still registered ones I have been looking at with a mind to buying another VZ. All of them have had oil majorly leaking out both ends of the clean air intake pipe (small one). Every time I pull it off the big one to have a squiz, it pours out.

Boring out that valve definitely provides a needed amount of flow.

Some of that substance in the catch can is definitely oil but, so albeit it is less than before, I am still losing a bit. I still get a bit of oil smoke on first puff of exhaust at start up, I note, but it runs clean, and I just passed the emissions test, so I won't worry too much.

Hey, like I say, I don't worry about driving it how I want for fun, and it's an old motor. I can't be sure the previous owners were even running it with an air filter in there all the time before it passed into my hands. That would not be uncommon around here, ha ha. The rings are indeed probably starting to get a little worn. I will worry about it when it fails the emissions test.

I will also see if it makes a difference soon when I put in a more expensive oil.

Unless anyone else has any more ideas?

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Catch of the day.

View attachment 208764

That's what comes out when you open the tap. Very watery substance. Too runny to be just oil.

There was a surprising amount in there after just going down the shop and back a couple of times. About 100km.

There will be some condensation in there as well. Why its runny and stinks.

wannaeatyourbrains

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
I never smelled it. Hard to believe, but you are even more into this thread than I am. Make me laugh again.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I'm a fan of more expensive oil. At least the stuff they sell as full synthetic picked up on sale. It will be interesting to see if you catch less juice with a more refined oil than with a cheap one. They say they refine it more so the light volatile components ( which would quite runny ) should be removed during that process.

DavesSV6Tonner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S V6 Cab & Chassis
I'm a fan of more expensive oil. At least the stuff they sell as full synthetic picked up on sale. It will be interesting to see if you catch less juice with a more refined oil than with a cheap one. They say they refine it more so the light volatile components ( which would quite runny ) should be removed during that process.

Does Full Synthetic engine oil actually contain any conventional oil?

wannaeatyourbrains

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
All these locations previously bled oil profusely, as I have observed in all of them around here. Pools and puddles all over the show. Now bone dry.

Slide1.JPG

This is what it is like around my place. Today the air is unusually clear. Normally everything is shrouded in a haze of dust. Much of it is microparticles, that manage to find their way into everything. They quickly build up, leaving the insides of machines and electronics looking like wasps have invaded.

IMG_20200109_164758_1.jpg

Last edited:

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
I never smelled it. Hard to believe, but you are even more into this thread than I am. Make me laugh again.

Do you have an Alloytech powered flying carpet in Mecca?

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Does Full Synthetic engine oil actually contain any conventional oil?
Yes. All the common household name synthetics are just conventional oil that has been refined a bit further, supposed to make it more stable at high temperatures and 'remove the impurities' according to good old Peter Brock.
When you spend $80 a bottle you start getting into the real synthetic oils.