Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vz Berlina With Sheet metal in the boot????

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
"Sheet metal"!? Come off the glue! That's flashing to reduce/deaden noise and deflect heat, even as an anti-scuff. It's common on many Commodores (some enthusiasts though will remove it, for whatever want...) and can be also be observed around the engine firewall behind the grey-black retardant gaffer (typically driver's side). You can see in the photo where it has been applied as an anti-scuff so the wheel (like space savers) does not rub against bare metal. I would definitely not look upon it as "a problem" when examining cars. I've got it around the spare wheel compartment and guards. Many greatly more important things to check out than benign flashing.

mike249cc

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sv6
mine has this on the exhaust side of fuel tank

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Definitely not sheet metal. Is actually used as heat shielding when towing heavy and sustained loads and can be purchased from Holden as a kit - part of their towing pack'. I have always been of the opinion that it should be installed on the under/outside not inside the spare wheel well. If you check underneath you may also find a small metal sheet affixed around the centre diff bearing, also used as a heat shield to protect from extrta hot exhaust. Seems to me that your car has been used aas a 'serious' tow vehicle.

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Definitely not sheet metal. Is actually used as heat shielding when towing heavy and sustained loads and can be purchased from Holden as a kit - part of their towing pack'. I have always been of the opinion that it should be installed on the under/outside not inside the spare wheel well. If you check underneath you may also find a small metal sheet affixed around the centre diff bearing, also used as a heat shield to protect from extrta hot exhaust. Seems to me that your car has been used aas a 'serious' tow vehicle.

Yes, mine has this towing pack addition of this foil in a few places, with fans and oil cooler up front and a shield above the exhaust and differential, along with other stuff. Just one point: nobody I have spoken to who actually drove the car (ex-CFA) can ever recall it over 4 years towing anything more than the station BBQ on a trailer for fundraisers (!). The foil seems to have a laminate-retardant 'sandwich' within and is quite malleable (bend and form).

VXcommforlife

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX
If it was used for serious towing that would be a bad thing wouldn't it. It would put alot of strain on the car?

vnss_1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SS
it is only sound deadining matt but its still worth looking into even if it was factory fitted, i've seen many dodgey repairs hidden by this stuff over time.

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
If it was used for serious towing that would be a bad thing wouldn't it. It would put alot of strain on the car?

Not if the the load being towed was within ratings. I'd be more concerned for the car being used in every day stop-start/crawl city driving, among many other bad practices.