Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vz clubby not starting after removing bcm fuse

kinetic5957

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz clubsport
Hi guys

Recently wanted to upgrade my taillights to LED globes, had issues with getting them to tell the difference between stop and parker function. I found a thread on here about relearn procedure for the bcm.

So I did what they said and removed the bcm fuse under the bonnet to reset the bcm to put it on to learning state.

However after removing and replacing the fuse the car won't start and the key won't lock and unlock the doors. All the dash light comes the fuel pump primes on but the little lock light witch I assume is imoboliser is flashing and no crank. I have tried leaving the key with the ignition on for a while to no avail. Is it possible by removing the fuse it has forgotten the coding of the key or unlinked the bcm,ecm etc?

Any help would be highly appreciated

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Hi guys

Recently wanted to upgrade my taillights to LED globes, had issues with getting them to tell the difference between stop and parker function. I found a thread on here about relearn procedure for the bcm.

So I did what they said and removed the bcm fuse under the bonnet to reset the bcm to put it on to learning state.

However after removing and replacing the fuse the car won't start and the key won't lock and unlock the doors. All the dash light comes the fuel pump primes on but the little lock light witch I assume is imoboliser is flashing and no crank. I have tried leaving the key with the ignition on for a while to no avail. Is it possible by removing the fuse it has forgotten the coding of the key or unlinked the bcm,ecm etc?

Any help would be highly appreciated
You should never disconnect anything on the BCM without first disconnecting the negative battery terminal.

When reinserting a fuse a voltage spike can occur and damage sensitive components easily. The BCM uses capacitors which hold charge like a battery to maintain settings and data.

A relearn can not be done by removing a fuse. It can only be done with a bidirectional scan tool that has the capacity to delve into functions with the ECM and BCM etc. Not all do.

There is a solid chance you are now up the creek and will require the BCM to be repaired or have it replaced with a reflashed BCM suited to the trim level of the car. (Mid-High-Lux) with your vehicles VIN flashed to it.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
At best you can have someone with a bidirectional scan tool try and relink your key to the BCM.

Again, touch anything on the cars network (it’s a computer network) without disconnecting the negative terminal first at your own peril.
I even do a povo capacitor discharge first as well which drains any capacitors of voltage before plugging or unplugging anything.

As a note, that will reset data as far as fuel trims etc at best and that is all. Someone has led you up the garden path.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
being a clubsport
you are so far up the creek
do you have the special red and black keys
try disconnecting battery negative for half an hour
keep your fingers crossed for this entire time
refit battery neg, pray to all gods and try again

kinetic5957

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz clubsport
being a clubsport
you are so far up the creek
do you have the special red and black keys
try disconnecting battery negative for half an hour
keep your fingers crossed for this entire time
refit battery neg, pray to all gods and try again
Red and black keys? My key is just your typical black Holden key

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
i thought clubsport had extra security with special key in glovebox

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
looks like they did away with the extra keys
1706852301945.png

1706852346766.png

kinetic5957

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz clubsport
looks like they did away with the extra keys
View attachment 263707
View attachment 263708
Wow ok never seen these extra keys had a freak out a little bit , I'll try disconnecting the battery tonight and leaving it for a bit if not looks like I'll have to get a locksmith to program a new key or bcm replacement which is a **** but lesson learnt. Thank you for your suggestions guys much appreciated

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Wow ok never seen these extra keys had a freak out a little bit , I'll try disconnecting the battery tonight and leaving it for a bit if not looks like I'll have to get a locksmith to program a new key or bcm replacement which is a **** but lesson learnt. Thank you for your suggestions guys much appreciated
While the battery is disconnected, l'd put the standard stop/taillights back in.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride