Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vz commodore Map light / Roof consol what size are these LIGHTS??

vz23kq

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz commodore lumina
hey everyone, i have changed almost every light in my car, the last ones left are the lights ontop of my head, The Map lights or so called Roof consol, my vz has the ones with the sunglass holder, On the 2005 model. i took the consol out from the Roof, From two bolts holding it, Took of the 2 plastic covers to discover these bulbs inside diffrent from the ones from the back passanger lights, Does anyone no how to take these out? and also What exact size they are so i can go upgrade them??? any help IS muchly APPRIACTED ::):):):) VZ23KQ

bcw61

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 2005 Executive Wagon
hey everyone, i have changed almost every light in my car, the last ones left are the lights ontop of my head, The Map lights or so called Roof consol, my vz has the ones with the sunglass holder, On the 2005 model. i took the consol out from the Roof, From two bolts holding it, Took of the 2 plastic covers to discover these bulbs inside diffrent from the ones from the back passanger lights, Does anyone no how to take these out? and also What exact size they are so i can go upgrade them??? any help IS muchly APPRIACTED ::):):):) VZ23KQ

They are a 10 Watt bayonet globe.

To remove the bulb, press in and turn a quarter of a turn (bit like a standard 240V bayonet lightbulb). Reverse to replace.

The bulbs are a bit of a bugger to get to, especially if you have fat fingers like me.

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
Prey tell, why was the entire console removed from the roof just to replace the bulbs?
The clear lens is easy enough to prise open and off with a flat-blade jeweller's screwdriver to expose the globes. Bright white globes are available from AutoBarn or SuperCheap for around $5.60 (10w). A cheerful change from the reddish ordinary lights fitted.

I have found the passenger saloon lamps in the rear a bit more of a challenge to get to; ditto the number plate light lenses; seems the number plate must come off first and then some judicious wiggling to and fro to free the darned thing.

azazeldeath

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Holden Commodore Wagon w/3.8L Buick
Can you use the LED 'globes' that places like supercheap sell?

GoodTimes

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE Thunder Sandman, 6-speed Manual
I bought several different LEDs from AutoBarn today at it turns out that in the front the sunglass holder lights the polaris is opposite. The positive is on the outside and the negative is at the point and none of the lights from autobarn or anything are working, it's so annoying.

DeadlySphinx

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ Executive
You've dug up a pretty old thread here.

However it's very easy to fix that with a limited electrical knowledge. I did it myself the other day, doing exactly what's in this thread before I even found it:

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/vz-holden-commodore-2004-2006/174759-interior-lighting-map-lights.html

Take a look and scroll down to a post by HoldenOnn, he's done a write up on switching the wires to change the polarity for a BA9S LED globe to work in the VZ map lights.

Also I advise buying LED's and what-not online, you'll save an arm and a leg instead of buying these types of things from Autobarn/Supercheap etc. They are grossly overpriced.

morphix

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ SV6 5-Speed Auto
Yeh, when changing to most LEDs you need to swap the wires over.

I also found that, there was not enough room for my fingers to get in the holder and twist the old globes out without removing it from the roof.

I tried over and over but could not get the globes out, plus i needed to pull it out anyway once i got the LEDs to swap the wires over.

GoodTimes

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE Thunder Sandman, 6-speed Manual
You've dug up a pretty old thread here.

However it's very easy to fix that with a limited electrical knowledge. I did it myself the other day, doing exactly what's in this thread before I even found it:

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/vz-holden-commodore-2004-2006/174759-interior-lighting-map-lights.html

Take a look and scroll down to a post by HoldenOnn, he's done a write up on switching the wires to change the polarity for a BA9S LED globe to work in the VZ map lights.

Also I advise buying LED's and what-not online, you'll save an arm and a leg instead of buying these types of things from Autobarn/Supercheap etc. They are grossly overpriced.

Oh my god it's that easy. :doh: