Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Crewman Fuel tank question

DMJ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ crewman ute 2004
HI all.
Just purchased a VZ crewman ute. Fuel Gauge comes from full to empty in about 250km but only takes 30-35 litres to fill to full again ( which is about half a tank).
Calibration or fuel sender issue?
Also Crewman tank is shaped like a saddle bag straddling the tailshaft. There appears to me no hoses low down allowing fuel to balance between the 2 halfs. As the fuel pump/sender is one assembly and sit in one side how does the fuel level balance out between the 2 halfs of the tank either side of the tailshaft ? Is there a hose that may be blocked.
Holden are asking nearly $800 to access and replace sender ( need to drop the tank) so would like to do a bity of investigation first in case simply a calibration issue or a simple blocked transfer hose between 2 tanks.
Thanks in advance for any assistance

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
should be a hose in the tank to go to the other side and attach to the bottom of the module

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
This is the set up under the tray. You only need to slide the tray back enough to get to the goodies underneath.
You can see a bit of it if you remove the wheel well trims.

Attachments

• 80F9CBF3-FAFA-48CF-AEA8-BA18FBA585E8.jpeg
    80F9CBF3-FAFA-48CF-AEA8-BA18FBA585E8.jpeg
    253.3 KB · Views: 2,285

DavesSV6Tonner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S V6 Cab & Chassis
HI all.
Just purchased a VZ crewman ute. Fuel Gauge comes from full to empty in about 250km but only takes 30-35 litres to fill to full again ( which is about half a tank).
Calibration or fuel sender issue?
Also Crewman tank is shaped like a saddle bag straddling the tailshaft. There appears to me no hoses low down allowing fuel to balance between the 2 halfs. As the fuel pump/sender is one assembly and sit in one side how does the fuel level balance out between the 2 halfs of the tank either side of the tailshaft ? Is there a hose that may be blocked.
Holden are asking nearly $800 to access and replace sender ( need to drop the tank) so would like to do a bity of investigation first in case simply a calibration issue or a simple blocked transfer hose between 2 tanks.
Thanks in advance for any assistance

I gather you're not running out of fuel? From my own experiences with the fuel gauge in my VZ cab & chassis I will venture to say it is a gauge software calibration issue. My gauge has never read correctly but after a recent ECU failure and replacement the calibration was way out. The gauge was actually pretty accurate at full and empty but pretty much anywhere in between was way out. Injectronics came to the party and replaced the replacement ECU and my gauge is back to what I was used to, about 340 kms from Full to the fuel low level warning (mostly suburban driving 14.0l/100km) with approx 40kms to go. Still not as accurate as it could/should be but I can live with it.

Last edited:

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
We are running out.
The wagon has a bigger tank.

½ tank is ¾ on the gauge and ½ on the gauge is actually “get to a petrol station now!”

So filling when it’s at half is disproportionate to what the gauge reads.

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
We are running out.
The wagon has a bigger tank.

½ tank is ¾ on the gauge and ½ on the gauge is actually “get to a petrol station now!”

So filling when it’s at half is disproportionate to what the gauge reads.

Dunno. In my wagon wheels I can run down to the first red tick (but prefer not to!). I have never received a low-fuel warning in the red tick zone, but would expect one just before the last tick (bottom!), at which time there is probably a risk of the pump siphoning up any gunk in the bottom of the tank.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
It’s because Crewman fuel pump assembly in a Crewman tank, in a Crewman, having a wagon BCM & ECU reading info as if the tank was bigger.

For OP, one cause for the problem might be an ECU or BCM in the Crewman that’s not correctly set up with a Tech 2. Or someone replaced the computers (like I did) before they owned it.

Sliding back the tray and replacing the pump assembly might be a handy job but it also sucks. It’s a lot of work to do and it might not be the problem.

Hope it is though.

exec24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina Series 2
is the cluster original? fuel calibration is programmed via a tech 2 into the cluster, as a sedan/wagon tank is 75lt and a crewman/1 tonner is 68lt- also 1 tonners have a delay apparently programmed into the reading to make sure it give a correct reading

also to the OP the 1 tonner and crewman fuel level sender is the only one available separate from holdens (you dont need to buy a full pump assembly) for about $70 all up

VT2Commie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Clubsport R8
I would take it to Holden, Auto Electrician or someone with a Tech2 and check, and if needed program/calibrate the IPC correctly. If it still reads incorrectly then it will be a tray of job to replace the sender module. NOT the whole fuel pump assembly.