Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ ECU Repairs

Gaz1111

Reaction score
Members Ride
04 VZ Executive
Hi all,
I know that this has been covered before but all threads were a bit old.

So I found this today and in the hope that I can help someone i will post what I've found. I've been reading up on all of these ECU faults. Mine hasn't started for about 2 months when it first started with the Very low fuel error... Anyway i tried a couple of things and it would start intermittently but as mentioned I haven't tried to give it a crack for about a month. It wouldn't start or even attempt to crank over. So after reading something about them getting moisture etc, I decided I'd just give it a crack.
I grabbed my mapp gas bottle and gently applied heat to the edge of the mounting frame of the ecu only for a few seconds , just enough to lift the temp of the metal, turned it on and started first go. Then I turned it off and left it for a minute and tried again. It didn't start and as I felt the housing it was cold. So I tried again and heated up the frame of the ecu as per before and it started first crank. I let it run for a while and it restarted again.
So after this I'm pretty certain that I have an issue with the ECU and a crook connection within. Any ideas where I can get one fixed? I'm in Toowoomba Queensland.
PS I suspect that this also will make it run a bit rough?!

Silverbird

(Blake)
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Station Wagon
Sounds like you have nailed the issue. I'm assuming you have removed and reattached the two connectors from the ECU?
Maybe get a second hand ECU installed and coded to your car...Saves a lot of hassle trying to fix it.

Gaz1111

Reaction score
Members Ride
04 VZ Executive
Sounds like you have nailed the issue. I'm assuming you have removed and reattached the two connectors from the ECU?
Maybe get a second hand ECU installed and coded to your car...Saves a lot of hassle trying to fix it.
Appreciate the help. The car is running so yes have reattached them.
Trying to work out cost wise the best solution ie. Send it away to get fixed or getting a second hand one recoded (not sure what the process is here?!)

Last edited:

ForestVt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ exp 3.6 05
I'm sorry friends... Despite my post does not refer to ECU repair...I believe it's related! After a few months experiencing the same symptoms ... I solved the problem myself ... relocating the ECU ... as attached pictures! It's been about six months without new occurrences.
In my case ... all occurrences were coincident with high temperature in the ECU - above 80 degrees Celsius - measured with Laser thermometer. Reallocated ... the temperature in the ECU rarely goes beyond 70 Celsius.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    190.7 KB · Views: 831
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    224.7 KB · Views: 530
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    146.1 KB · Views: 497
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    193.8 KB · Views: 530
  • 10.JPG
    10.JPG
    154.6 KB · Views: 499
  • 11.JPG
    11.JPG
    206.1 KB · Views: 501

Silverbird

(Blake)
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Station Wagon
Great outcome! Excellent fitout too.

Gaz1111

Reaction score
Members Ride
04 VZ Executive
I'm sorry friends... Despite my post does not refer to ECU repair...I believe it's related! After a few months experiencing the same symptoms ... I solved the problem myself ... relocating the ECU ... as attached pictures! It's been about six months without new occurrences.
In my case ... all occurrences were coincident with high temperature in the ECU - above 80 degrees Celsius - measured with Laser thermometer. Reallocated ... the temperature in the ECU rarely goes beyond 70 Celsius.
Great job! I have a few aluminium heat sinks that I can use from old air conditioner boards. Thinking I will mount on this and relocate to a similar area as you have. It should still get good airflow there and not be affected as much by the heat of the engine.

Did you have issues with the car not starting prior? ie Very low fuel warning SVS etc? I'm thinking about cracking mine open to just check connections and remove any moisture , before resealing and relocating.
Mine had been running okay but throwing up some codes until a storm went through the other day when it was sitting out in the weather. So just thinking there is an issue there and before I went down the track of sending away along with everything else I'd try this first.

Thoughts?

Blackbeard

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman 3.6
Hi mate, could you make me one of these mounts please. Willing to pay for it. Cheers