Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ SV6 ECU failed at 50,000 KMS

Jerel

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 Commodore
I am just posting this now although it happened last February, and although the car was 18 years old it had only done 50,000 kms and I couldn't understand why it would fail with so little use until I found something just now.
I live in Cairns where it gets very hot and I use the Air Con 3-4 months of the year, and I have just found out that when I put the A/C on it automatically switches on the RHS electric radiator fan and blasts super hot air directly onto the ECU module all the time the A/C is running, yes that's right, the RHS fan switches on while the LHS sits idle, what a dumbass engineering design.
I cut the back cover off the old ECU and the epoxy resin encasing the circuit board has turned to jelly from the extra heat, see pic.
The problem started with a rough idle and the tester showing, #2 Injector faulty and I suspected the ECU but wanted to check out the injector and wiring etc before spending a heap of money on a new ECU, anyway after a lot of work getting to the injector and testing we traced it back to the ECU.
I checked all the usual, getting it repaired, changeover from Repco and decided I didn't want the hassle and my mechanic ordered a new one from GM for $1200 and it cost $330 to program it.
The upside is it now accelerates a LOT faster from a standing start than it did when it was new, when I suspect it was programmed for a balance of fuel economy and performance.
This will probably be my last post as my new car is arriving in March and I will be selling this one, so someone is going to get a really good car as the engine and transmission have only done 51,000 Kms with an oil change and filter every 4000--5000 Kms, NEW ECU, NEW Digital screen in instrument cluster , good paint and upholstery.
I have owned this car since new and will be sorry to see it go.

Attachments

• ECU.jpg
    ECU.jpg
    217.2 KB · Views: 44

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
sounds like this car needs the 3 relay cooling mod

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
This will probably be my last post as my new car is arriving in March and I will be selling this one, so someone is going to get a really good car as the engine and transmission have only done 51,000 Kms with an oil change and filter every 4000--5000 Kms, NEW ECU, NEW Digital screen in instrument cluster , good paint and upholstery.
I have owned this car since new and will be sorry to see it go.
Maybe you should keep it?

What new car are you buying?