Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Fuel Gauge Problem

Ganzer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S UTE 175 M6
i had a hire car in brisbane for week and drove to gold coast and queensland race to do a V8 race drive. any way 563km then i filled it took 70 litres. it has 9500 kms on its clock.

squire_j

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
Turismo Blue 2005 VZ Storm Panelvan
I took my car in to be looked at because the diff or something was making funny noises, so i asked them to fix up the fuel guage problem coz i heard the fix came out last november. They did confirm that there was a fuel guage recall but that my car wasn't recalled (05/05 build) so they didn't fix it.... :(

mine isn't as bad as a few that i've read on here, but it does seem to do some weird things sometimes!

And no, they didn't fix the other problem either, it was "within guidelines" or some cr@p

R

RKZ234

I sympathise with you wholeheartedly and quite tragically you aren't Robinson Crusoe.

But, welcome to the world of pi$$ poor excuses used by Holden to deny warranty. The official excuse used to fob off warranty claimants is,

"Your vehicle's noise/vibration/shudder (or whatever other legitimate issue that is annoying the crap out of you in the unrelieable piece of Holden junk you've had the misfortune to spend your hard earned money on) is within spec."

If they are really pi$$sing in your pocket, they will even address you as sir.

If you are prepared to stick to your guns and make a stand do so, otherwise, sell it now, go buy a Toyota or other imported brand and don't buy another Holden again. That's the easy way out.

S

stew7700

Anyone else have the problem where if you park facing up a hill and you have say 1/2 a tank or a bit more, then you get back in and start the car and the low fuel warning is going crazy then it sorts itself out after you get going? But if you face down the hill it stays at about what you had in the tank, or even a little bit more. Thats the main issue with mine. I can run it down to 20km to go and put 72-73 litres in it. Dont know whether or not to let holden touch it now after hearing they've made it worse in some peoples cases!

Rod VZ Storm

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Storm ute M6
stew7700 said:
Anyone else have the problem where if you park facing up a hill and you have say 1/2 a tank or a bit more, then you get back in and start the car and the low fuel warning is going crazy then it sorts itself out after you get going? But if you face down the hill it stays at about what you had in the tank, or even a little bit more. Thats the main issue with mine. I can run it down to 20km to go and put 72-73 litres in it. Dont know whether or not to let holden touch it now after hearing they've made it worse in some peoples cases!

I dont think that they can fix the up hill and down hill issue. My ute has that problem too. I get a low fuel warning (on flat ground) after using about 48L from the so called 70L tank.
One time i was driving nice and steady thru the suburbs and it was showing less than 20Km to empty and i got less than 58L in when i filled it. So much for a 70L ute tank. Im told that they have a fuel pump inside the tank and need some fuel to cover the pump and keep it cool :unsure:

My suggestion is that if you are happy enough with the gauge and know its reliable and repeatable LEAVE IT as is. As you said, dont let them make it worse.

I normally reset my speedo and drive 420ish km (city) and then think about filling up.

SSZ Ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SSV M6
Strange fuel usage

I have just bought a SSZ ute and I fill up to the first click only. I can get 180 km before the needle even moves off full then then rest of the tank empties as expected. Does anyone else experience this and is it worth getting Holden to look at?

Rod VZ Storm

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Storm ute M6
SSZ Ute said:
I have just bought a SSZ ute and I fill up to the first click only. I can get 180 km before the needle even moves off full then then rest of the tank empties as expected. Does anyone else experience this and is it worth getting Holden to look at?

I can go 30-70km before it moves from full.

Id say as long as your stays constant and you are happy about the way it works after 180km just live with it ...... incase they make it worse :thumbsup:

Burty65

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS 6.0litre "Thunder" Ute - Auto
Exact same problem....

DavoTheGreat said:
Well my trip computer did the opposite to me this morning. I ran out of petrol with 60km showing on the DTE and the fuel gauge was on the middle red line. I've had the car since July 05 (Nov 04 build) and it's always been pretty accurate, but this is ridiculous. I've ran the car down to 0 on the DTE many times and always had 3 - 4 litres spare (took 70 - 71 litres to fill). So I wonder why (aside from it being Friday 13th :p) it's decided to run me out of juice now!?

I've now run out four times with brtween 40 -60kms showing on the DTE, but much red on the guage. 2nd last time, brought Melbourne to a halt as it was on the Monash in peak hour under the Wellington Road overpasss.....

Had it back to the dealer, supposedly fixed, same prob last week.

The RACV bod in Melbourne cited increased ethanol in fuel, and it's reaction to plastic as the theory going around the RACV.

Apparently Fords are having the same problem (hooray!!)

Spoils the experience of driving and owning an otherwise very satisfying vehicle.

shrapnel

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ V8 M6 TT
old mans ute said:
Took 56 litres to fill and that was after several minutes squeezing in the last half a litre. A few litres of unusable fuel is acceptable, but almost 20 litres. (Glad my Honda bike hasn't been built this way).
I've worked out today (read:found out the hard way) that I've got 15l of unusable fuel. :b: