Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Fuel Gauge Problem

F

fuzzy84

theres a fix for it now, i work at a holden dealership and we do them all the time. They reprogram the Instrument cluster the ECU and the fuel gauge calibration, if all of them arent updated the newsoftware wont be able to communicate with the old software, hense thats why we have to reprogram all 3, see your dealer and they will beable to fix it from now.

furrhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy 3.8
Fuel Gauge

Are the fuel gauge issues really fixed this time as Holden appear to have put out many fixes in the past that don't seem to have work????????????????

xcaluber

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
At the last service I had them look at the fuel gauge problem. Apparently they
"re-calibrated" it.

Works perfectly now.

It was in the middle of the red and I put 62 litres in. Ussualy it would only take 50 when at that point...

efryer

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SV6 3.6 Auto
Is definitely not just the UTES with fuel gauge issues.

I have kept quiet for the last few months letting the car run in, well finally upto 10,000km and the fuel gauge is all over the place in the last part of the tank (around 20 litres left).

Arrived home on Thursday night, 10.7l/100km avg, showing 220Km left in the tank by its calculations (for at least 5 mins before I pulled in the driveway). Showing 500Km on the tank so far.

Left on Friday morning 5.00am, checked the LCD after about 10 mins of driving, showing 210Km left. Thinking thats fine, have 70Km there and 70Km back again, should be able to pickup fuel the next day. Managed to get there (70Km) and it is showing 18km left when I leave the clients premises, then the usual 0 km left about 6Km up the road.

So it is showing me 575Km for a 75 litre tank, where as at an average of 10.7km, I work it out that I should have used only 61 litres.

I hope Holden come out with an honest answer soon, as it is almost impossible to work out when it is empty.

Regards

Bob

Strone

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S UTE
so is this problem across the whole vz range or just the s ute?

how about the ss ute or the storm ute?

efryer

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SV6 3.6 Auto
Finally it looks like they have got it with Fuel Gauge

(VZ Equipe Sedan 175Kw Alloytech - Auto)
Very early in the thread I was complaining about the fuel gauge.

Just before Christmas, I put it in for the 15,000 service, and mentioned to them that the Fuel Left information is inaccurate. I actually wasn't expecting them to have a fix (have been missing from the forums for a few months), I just wanted it noted, so some record of the issue existed. When I picked it up they said they had reflashed the software.

After two full tanks, I have to admit I am starting to trust it, it looks like they have a real fix for it.

On the second tank I managed to get 620Km out of it (avg 10.5Km/l), and only 5 litres left. Even the Instrument gauge appears to be more linear in its descent (but that could be just my perception), but it seems to ring true with what others have found.

Anyhow, here's hoping that it stays that way.

Just thought I would post it for others interest the same issue.

Aggro_VE

The Overseer
Reaction score
Members Ride
A lazy VE
This is very promising, bout time we all say!. I'll make sure I check the history of car b4 I buy.

prokiwi

Silktoyz.com
Reaction score
Website
www.silktoyz.com
Members Ride
VE SS Ute - Black + Range Rover Sport
Dont think Holden have fixed the Fuel gauge Yet

Just had my car in to Holden on 24th Dec to get the "Master Fix " for this 2 yr old on going fuel Guage fix. ...well it made no difference ...so on the 6th january i took it back and they did it again ...now it is worse than ever ... stays on full for about 300kms , then drops a mark on the pod , then if u watch it as u drive along the road it goes back up again.

Computer says I have 590kms to empty and I have driven 500kms from full tank..... Go Figure ...went back to holden today and they said drop it off again and they will have a look.

I told them to forget it I would be selling ute instead.

I have had this problem with both VZ ss and V6 S , and never seen so many parts on a car replaced ..... and still no fix. been into service dept 19 times total for this problem , started way back with the first VZ ss sold in NZ !!

I buy new holden every 12 mths and sad to say ...this will be the last .

Does anybody know of a Toyota Forum similar to Holden ...time for a change..

errol

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE Commodore Lumina
prokiwi,
not too sure where you went too on the sunshine coast but my ute went in for a service at Sunco Motors at Maroochydore and I told them about the fuel problem and they said a fix has come out and they would install the latest program into the ute. It has now been a few weeks and I have filled up 4 times since then and on each occasion managed to get 62 Litres in the tank, so i believe it has worked previously I have only managed to only get 48 Litres into the tank.

DavoTheGreat

Reaction score
Members Ride
Z Series ClubSport
Well my trip computer did the opposite to me this morning. I ran out of petrol with 60km showing on the DTE and the fuel gauge was on the middle red line. I've had the car since July 05 (Nov 04 build) and it's always been pretty accurate, but this is ridiculous. I've ran the car down to 0 on the DTE many times and always had 3 - 4 litres spare (took 70 - 71 litres to fill). So I wonder why (aside from it being Friday 13th :p) it's decided to run me out of juice now!?