Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Fuel Gauge Problem

V

vzstack

my gauge seems ok about 8l left when on empty however the low fuel light comes on at 1/4 to go or close to 250km left and says 50to go then goes up ie 55km left after i have done another 20km

shrapnel

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ V8 M6 TT
Practicing calculus in a car?

VX_KN079 said:
Does everyone know they can actually work out their consumption so they don't have to rely on the fuel guage at all? Basic maths skills are all you need.

Yes, of course it can be worked out. But why should anyone have to work it out? The gauge is there. It's not indicating the amount of petrol correctly. As that is the gauge's main function we conclude it's not doing its job, ie it's not working.

In a new car all instruments should be working. We shouldn't settle for anything else but appropriate resolution of the problem, after all that's what the warranty is for. The reason we settle for what we get is the very reason they don't care to fix this problem for more than 5? years now.

Whether it's the sensor sending the wrong data to the computer, or the gauge itself, or the variations of the pickup position in the tank, ultimately, it's irrelevant. It's not much to ask to know how much petrol you have left in the car, I hardly consider that luxury.

In fact, one would think the geniuses of automotive industry invented this clever instrument so we dont have to sit at the traffic lights devising lim f(petrol), petrol->0.

If everyone else can get it right, why can't Holden? Too much to ask? Do we have to resort to using a dipstick to measure petrol or are they going to *&#*^ fix it? :bang:

V

VX_KN079

I agree with you shrapnel - believe me I do. Holden's build quality currently leaves a LOT to be desired, not JUST the fuel guage issues... Hopefully they improve build quality across the board with the VE...

R

RKZ234

VX_KN079 said:
I agree with you shrapnel - believe me I do. Holden's build quality currently leaves a LOT to be desired, not JUST the fuel guage issues... Hopefully they improve build quality across the board with the VE...

I totally agree with you also shrapnel.

Every new model, we keep kidding ourselves, by saying "we hope thay get it right in the next model" and they don't.

As a whole, consumers continue to accept mediocrity from Holden and Holden vehicles. Consequently, Holden takes us for granted and believes that not giving consumers what they paid for is acceptable and a part of normal busines practice, simply because the majority of consumers accept being ripped off.

Until more of us DEMAND to get what we paid for, or consequently boycott the brand, Holden will not change and they will continue to receive money from consumers under false pretenses, that they most certainly don't deserve.

This petrol guage fault has been going on for how many years? 4 maybe 5 and they still haven't got it right!

But Holden are under no real pressure to fix it either, because sadly most people now accept that buying a new Holden also means hassles. The thought of losing your car for a day only to get the thing back repeatedly with the fault unresolved means the developing trend is that people only put their dodgy Holden in for warranty work at the same time as a scheduled service, which, due to the increased size of the oil sump is every 15,000km in the case of a Commodore.

We first put a man on the moon in June 1969 - almost 37 years ago, yet Holden can't make a car with an accurate fuel guage! Obviously the vehicle the Astronauts took to the moon wasn't a Holden.

Last edited by a moderator:

Burnie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Ute/VT Sedan
Had new fuel program put in at 15000 service. Seems less erratic. Last week put in 65 litres when DTE was Zero. % litres reserve (asuming usable is not bad)

On calculating fuel consumption-I have complete records of every litre since new. I reckon 6 kays to the litre round town and 10 on highway, so about 420 kays to the tank around town and 700 cruising (still not enough range)

For the record, I agree with sentiments expressed about this issue Poor design is inappropriate inn cars of this day and age, given all to hi tech effort that goes in.

V

VX_KN079

Burnie said:
For the record, I agree with sentiments expressed about this issue Poor design is inappropriate inn cars of this day and age, given all to hi tech effort that goes in.

But these days along with hi-tech comes the "save as many dollars as you can" mentality during production to maximise profits.

old mans ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S Ute
Basic Maths skills

VX_KN079 said:
Does everyone know they can actually work out their consumption so they don't have to rely on the fuel guage at all? Basic maths skills are all you need.

Basic maths are just fine when you know that you don't get to use all the fuel in the tank.

528 kms at 11.2 litres/100 and bone dry. Miles from nowhere and $2 a litre for 5 litres from Holden Assist after sitting on the roadside for over an hour and contemplating my maths skills which I was relying in because I had no faith in the gauge.

Sounds like 59 litres to me and it took 58.8 litres to refill. Fuel metering is impressive and I won't argue over a middy out in a full tank..

Basic maths are not a great help when Holden manages to add more than its faie share of variables to the equation.

By the way, I have the latest software release and for some inexplicable reason, after being wildly inaccurate at the top end of the gauge, it seemed to settle down after a couple of tank fulls. Still not great but does at least bear some semblance to reality.

But I still rely on your advice and good old basic maths.

Fuel consumption multiplied by kms travelled/100 and if that come out to more than 55 I start looking for the petrol pump.

Maybe Holden could program a calculator into the on screen display or the radio screen and then sell it as a high tech fuel use device. Either that or provide one of those crap suction cap pads and pencils you often see stuck to the windscreen in cabs.

At the same time they can add some gizmos to keep the front rotors from warping in under 15000 kms, the hard cover from leaking like a sieve, the hard cover seal from sticking to the tailgate and peeling off in a gooey mess(Holden's reply: Well we have had a hot summer) and something to fix the rust or very daggy welds around the bottom of the rear screen (still to be solved in a meeting with GM factory rep tomorrow).

Should have known something when GMH use a comedian in their advertising to tell us that Holdens mean a great deal to Australia.

old mans ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S Ute
600 kms to the tank

Troy711 said:

Just out of interest, how much fuel does it take you to refill after 600kms. Either you do a lot of highways kms and get some pretty good consumption or you like to run a very fine line between driving and waiting for Holden Assist (or you keep 5 litres in a jerrycan all the time.

old mans ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S Ute
Dipsticks

shrapnel said:
Yes, of course it can be worked out. But why should anyone have to work it out? The gauge is there. It's not indicating the amount of petrol correctly. As that is the gauge's main function we conclude it's not doing its job, ie it's not working.

In a new car all instruments should be working. We shouldn't settle for anything else but appropriate resolution of the problem, after all that's what the warranty is for. The reason we settle for what we get is the very reason they don't care to fix this problem for more than 5? years now.

Whether it's the sensor sending the wrong data to the computer, or the gauge itself, or the variations of the pickup position in the tank, ultimately, it's irrelevant. It's not much to ask to know how much petrol you have left in the car, I hardly consider that luxury.

In fact, one would think the geniuses of automotive industry invented this clever instrument so we dont have to sit at the traffic lights devising lim f(petrol), petrol->0.

If everyone else can get it right, why can't Holden? Too much to ask? Do we have to resort to using a dipstick to measure petrol or are they going to *&#*^ fix it? :bang:

If you mention dipsticks to a Holden Customer Service guru, he will think you are talking about the people who buy Holdens (like me). Lucky for GMH that those Hilux utes look so weird