Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Fuel Gauge Problem

skarekrow

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Ute M6
hi guys, been reading this post and makes for some interesting food for thought. i'm looking at getting a new thunder s ute and was wondering if you gus reckon this fuel gauge problem would still be happening on a brand new ute?

shrapnel

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ V8 M6 TT
shrapnel said:
Wow. Just had a memorable drive home.

Took the car in today for the airbag recall and got the car re-flashed to fix the fuel gauge. I gave it 30 liters just before dropping the car off, some 5kms before that.

The gauge was going from half to low fuel, to very low fuel, to sub zero, back to half. It's much much worse than before. Not impressed.:mad:

Seems like the same thing happened to quite a few people. I'll try and see if I can go back to the older software next time I'm in.
Well, took the car to Holden and got the software reflash again. Turns out they've screwed up last time and calibrated the gauge for HSV. %@$^$:bang: It seems much better now than with factory software ie it's not as erratic but whether it's actually accurate, that I'll have to see in the days coming.

H

Holden_Mechanic

there is a fix and all new cars have it. so the thunder should have the fix.
shrapnel, im 17 and a first year apprentice for 5 months now and u musta had a retarded mechanic do the fuel gauge recal coz it aint that hard to do. u have to re-flash the ecu 2 times. once for the engine and once for the instrument cluster. then do a recal of the fuel gauge. it actually asks you what model it is.

shrapnel

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ V8 M6 TT
Holden_Mechanic said:
there is a fix and all new cars have it. so the thunder should have the fix.
shrapnel, im 17 and a first year apprentice for 5 months now and u musta had a retarded mechanic do the fuel gauge recal coz it aint that hard to do. u have to re-flash the ecu 2 times. once for the engine and once for the instrument cluster. then do a recal of the fuel gauge. it actually asks you what model it is.
They actually said they were surprised that the car 'accepted' the software? I was supposed to laugh at that because they certainly found it funny. :realangry

I don't know much about the process but I hope they haven't loaded the wrong engine management software as well.

junka

MUZZA
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equipe VZ
Got my car fuel gauge recal at 15,000kms. Made it worst, now 15 litres out over the full gauge range.:mad: Well at least it is linear.

I work for the aircraft industry where fuel quanity is not a simple thing of using a `float', we use flow meters taking into account specific gravity of the fuel and temperature, and we get it right In fact, we have to get it right else the aircraft falls out of the sky.
Can't understand why they can't get it right for such a SIMPLE fuel gauge system. Maybe it is just that, run out of fuel, just pull over, no one gets hurt.

H

Holden_Mechanic

shrapnel said:
They actually said they were surprised that the car 'accepted' the software? I was supposed to laugh at that because they certainly found it funny. :realangry

I don't know much about the process but I hope they haven't loaded the wrong engine management software as well.

dont know why they said that. sounds like this dealership is full of ********s
:hit: :hit: :hit: :p

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
Holden_Mechanic said:
u have to re-flash the ecu 2 times. once for the engine and once for the instrument cluster

thats what they did to mine and it seems to have fixed it. but lately i feel as if it is slipping back to its old ways :confused:

H

Holden_Mechanic

Troy711 said:
thats what they did to mine and it seems to have fixed it. but lately i feel as if it is slipping back to its old ways :confused:

they may not have calibrated the fuel gauge.

if u do the ecu and the instrument cluster it will eveeeeeentually go back and possibly be a bit worse

SLugg

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS 6.2 T6060 Sting Red Trutrac harrop 500hp
dont forget in the owners manual it says
that fuel of less or up to 15 litres may nor register straight away due to dampening in the gauge to stop it moving when cornered hard