Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ key failure

bajdas

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Acclaim wagon
Had a similar problem with my 2005 VZ acclaim wagon a few months ago. Holdens fixed the BCM & a driver's side power door lock under warranty. No issues since.

slashtwo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Exec
Juan I had the same problem.

I found that if you put the key in the ignition and turn the ignition on then use the buttons on the key to lock and unlock the door it will activate the key.

My key worked after doing the above.

Hey THANKS Twinturf, had a key fail a few days ago, spoke to Holden service this morning, $120 and a couple of hours tomorrow, came home, found your thread and it worked a treat. SENSATIONAL.

Just about to phone and cancel.

Owe you a beer, CHEERS.

VZ Berlina Driver

~*GO THE LION*~
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ Berlina
Juan I had the same problem.

I found that if you put the key in the ignition and turn the ignition on then use the buttons on the key to lock and unlock the door it will activate the key.

My key worked after doing the above.

I had a slight problem when I got home from work.... My car wouldn't lock when I got home. (thankfully it unlocked when I LEFT work!!) So I thought my key battery was knaffed. I know they are about 100 bucks to get a new one & have it reprogrammed.... Was not happy for about 2 hours.
Then I read your advice here..... tried it.... & it worked!!! Super Chuffed now!!!
Don't know how or why the key suddenly decided not to work..... but it does now.:w00t:

twinturf

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Hey THANKS Twinturf, had a key fail a few days ago, spoke to Holden service this morning, $120 and a couple of hours tomorrow, came home, found your thread and it worked a treat. SENSATIONAL.

Just about to phone and cancel.

Owe you a beer, CHEERS.

Hi Slashtwo

I'm glad I could help out - thats the good thing about this forum, we give & receive advise.

Cheers Twinturf :)

Ado

Are we there yet?
Reaction score
Members Ride
vsII statesman L67
Juan, the reason being is most likely because the batteries are going flat. Re-synchronising the remote is more or less a temp fix in most cases. a remote should never fall out of sync with the BCM. You'll find that you'll be re-synchronising that remote on more than one occasion the batteries are non - replaceable i think Holden designed these particular remotes having in mind that batteries generally out last the remote itself [buttons etc] and in most cases they do i program a heap more remotes for collapsed buttons etc than flat batteries. and $120.00 is a tad steep by the way

coconutdog

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ
Mine did the same thing. I had undone the two screws to see if I could pull it to bits and buy a new battery to keep in the glovebox as a spare. It seems like it is a sealed unit. Being my wife's car I get a phonecall today to drive over to Albury to bring the spare key as the one she had stopped working (the one I had dismantled). Why do these things happen when it is pissing down with rain? Anyway after reading this post I was able to re synch the key. I also noticed I hadn't done the screws up tight enough and the circuitry wasn't making contact with the key which along with the little stud must complete the circuit. Thanks for this excellent post.

Matt.

GTRwilson

sell me your VY sigs!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
This thread has made reminded me of something about my key.

My car did not come with a spare key so im looking to get a complete spare key. I was quoted $139 i think, it was a while ago. Is it more expensive due to my situation or is this the going rate now? Just seemed very high to me. This quote was from a Mr Mint type place in the middle of a shopping center.

Kal123

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 && 180sx
Yeah it's ****, I payed $100 for a new VX Key.

But they charged me $120 for the VZ.

This was at a Mister Mint.

Archers

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Calais V 6ltr
umm i payed 45 for the pad plus 5 bucks for programing and 15 for the key its self to be cut so cost me 65 for a complete key, i got quoted 120 also just look around and ask for a better price an alot of the time most places will look after u