Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ LS1 white smoke on idle?

VZ57SSZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VF Series II SSV
Hey guys

Noticed the other day when idleing there is white smoke out the exhaust, coolant fine and oil fine.

When you give it a rev there is no smoke at all, once it returns to idle white smoke starts pooring out again.

Any idea what could be the cause, it also happens at Temprature so don't think its condensation.

All help appreciated.

Deltak

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Hi,

This maybe way off but check your brake fluid. Once I had a power booster leak that sucked brake fluid into the manifold under high vacuum (idle). Created massive white clouds when I hit the brakes hard.

Otherwise, I would have said that it was condensation (when cold only) or a water leak into the manifold.

Good luck!

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR

Dirbatua

AWOL!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS Series 2
probally blow-by still, your rocker covers vent into ur manifold.

take the throttle body off and clean the inside of the manifold as much as you can and the throttle body itself then give it a few weeks and check and see how much **** as built up on them again.

There is a reason people put catch cans before the throttle body on a LS.

aussieakito

Holden Dealer Master Tech
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
Manual VY SS2, 2005 Rolla Sportivo
Ive noticed with mine that steam will come from the exhaust (condensation) even when the engine is hot if its a cold day.
But if ive been on the freeway and i get the exhaust hotter it wont steam.

Dunno, ive noticed it more of duel systems.

VZ57SSZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VF Series II SSV
Wierdly enough my brakes have felt a little more spongey then normal.

I had it running before and could see little water dripplets in the exhaust, I expected condensation in cold weather but is doing g it all the time.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
mate honestly, i have NEVER heard of the booster sucking brake fluid all the way into the intake. im not saying it cant happen, it'd just be reeeeeeeally unlucky.

youll find that your mufflers can collect HEAPS of water, especially if the car prodominantly is used for short trips, say 20 mins or less. all the water condensation that collects in the engine gets fed to the exhaust where itll sit until the muffler gets hot enough to boil it out. short trips often dont get it all out, so it pools in there. and yeah, the oiling system (sump etc) will collect a LOT of water, which then gets fed into the PCV system, into the intake then out the exhaust.

given enough water in your muffler, you could drive your car for an hour and potentially itll still be in there. ive personally taken off muffler i would swear had at least a liter of water in them.

my point being, if there is water anywhere in your exhaust system, then there will be condensation out of your tail pipe on cooler days. even if you go for a long drive. itll keep coming out until all the water has boiled off.

if you can be bothered, take the mufflers off and tip them out. it cant hurt, and in fact if there IS water in there its best to get it out cos' its rusts all the internals out pretty quickly.

Drewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS (Original owner).
You would be surprised how much water collects in the rear muffler, I had a new system put on my SS a few years a go and when the workshop stood the old system up against a bench I reckon a good litre of water ran out of the rear muffler. My SS steams a lot when it is cold and even on a moderate day until it all warms up then it is fine.

Edit: I didn't read ari666's post above before posting but would say he is right on the money in what he said.