Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ LS2 struggling to turn over

Dylan Gotovac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ ls2
Hi guys,

I have a VZ LS2 and it has just started to be very hesitant to turn over. Sometimes it'll turn over after a few seconds of cranking, sometimes on second crank. Doesn't seem to matter if its a hot or cold start either, and for the first time i got a cluster warning with "immobiliser fail" followed by an "X", but has gone away so not too sure whats happened there.

First impression was starter motor but wondering if anyone has any other suggestions, thanks in advance

99notout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Equip Wagon
Faulty battery, have it load tested.

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
Immobiliser faults, suspected or actual (especially if reported on the dash), require an analyser to be plugged in and the fault interrogated and hopefully, cleared. The analyser will report whether the fault is "present" or "past event". Once cleared, the engine should start normally. If not, and the fault re-occurs, the immobiliser has a serial fault and you go from there e.g. replacement.

The starting you are experiencing is not related to the battery, but if persistent, it could definitely impart a heavier drain on the battery.

Dylan Gotovac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ ls2
ive noticed the battery gauge fluctuating a little while driving (low 12v to 14v ish). today started fine but only when key turned from off. Usually i leave the car in accessories for 3-4 seconds and it hesitates to start, but today tried to start it cold without the delay and fired up fine. The immobiliser fault was just suspected it has since gone away, i'm pretty sure that was just me trying to eagerly to turn it over.

Any reason why it wouldn't like to sit in accessories for a few seconds? I've always done it and never had a problem on other cars?

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Try the same thing for the next few days it might just have been lucky.

Dylan Gotovac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ ls2
This morning, cold start again, clicked over into ignition it gave me nothing, dash all comes on as normal, the starter motor click and thats all. Took the key out started from scratch, turned over instantly, any idea?

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
ive noticed the battery gauge fluctuating a little while driving (low 12v to 14v ish). today started fine but only when key turned from off. Usually i leave the car in accessories for 3-4 seconds and it hesitates to start, but today tried to start it cold without the delay and fired up fine. The immobiliser fault was just suspected it has since gone away, i'm pretty sure that was just me trying to eagerly to turn it over.

Any reason why it wouldn't like to sit in accessories for a few seconds? I've always done it and never had a problem on other cars?

About that last line...
I cannot see any valid reason why the key must be in the Access area for 2-3 seconds. From key-in to ignition is one fell-swoop — no stopping or pausing (you only move to Access/on to power up the radio, for example).
Your immobiliser contact ring (I have called it a "handshake") may have something like a thin film or dirt on it, preventing a clean and proper connection with the nib on the key. The key nib is pressed onto the steel ring during the accessory/on/ignition phase which tells the immobiliser the key is authorised, the immobiliser steps back and the engine can start. But the ring can get dirty ... even rusty (I've seen one rusty and gunky!) and greasy -- any number of things could interfere with it. Clean it with a tissue sprayed with windex or isopropyl alcohol (also the key nib).

It is still a very good idea to have an analyzer plugged in to examine and clear any suspected/actual fault that has been logged with any of the computers, not just the immobiliser.

Dylan Gotovac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ ls2
thanks for that ill give it a clean for sure. I've booked it in for a scan early next week just to see what it comes out with. took the battery out today sat it on charge and seemed to give a better start, for now anyway!

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
This morning, cold start again, clicked over into ignition it gave me nothing, dash all comes on as normal, the starter motor click and thats all. Took the key out started from scratch, turned over instantly, any idea?
So when you hit the key all you got was a click then gave it another go and it fired straight up? Sounds like a tired battery which will give all sorts of weird and wonderful errors with low voltage or the solonoid on your starter is dicky. Mine gives me a few clicks most days before it starts. I have a new starter on the shelf but too lazy to fit it.

Dylan Gotovac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ ls2
So when you hit the key all you got was a click then gave it another go and it fired straight up? Sounds like a tired battery which will give all sorts of weird and wonderful errors with low voltage or the solonoid on your starter is dicky. Mine gives me a few clicks most days before it starts. I have a new starter on the shelf but too lazy to fit it.
im leaning towards tired battery, once it came off charge seemed to be fine, but will see in the next few days if its still playing up ill take it in for a once over and go from there