Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Lumina Lots of Problems

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
If the car starts there should be no reason a mechanic etc cant get into the computer. I've been tuning a while and I also have just a scan diag device.......... which reports errors........... the only thing I could think of if nobody can get in is if the BCM possibly isn't updating the security code as it changes.

You should definitely be able to get in, if u cant something big is playing up (by big I mean a main device, BCM, TCM, ECU)

Suggestions I have which probably wont help:

1. Try a relink of the vats system (relinks the bcm to everything for the immobiliser side of things).
2. Powerchain errors generally are some kind of fault, no doubt a sensor one or more in your case.
3. Transmission fault obviously lies within the transmission being in safety mode therefore limiting how fast u can drive it.

Need to know more, water damage? as in flood......... how far under water........ error codes, I know you cant get in but really........... u need to get in to find out the codes.

My dad and I have been repairing a "repairable writeoff" but it wasn't water damaged, but again......... random faults for you.

What year model lumina, v6 or 8 or......

Another idea, again u need to know faults but you'd have to get a Auto Electrician to check all the sensors and solinoids including the O2 sensors in the exhaust.

PS. As for the door locking thats seriously odd....... Sounds more like a short or something there from maybe some dried up water linking some circuts....... I can guaranetee these are all probably small problems, just finding them is the hard part.

-- A seriously smart idea to try............ goto supercheap get some electrical cleaning spray......... like maybe 4 cans of it....... (unhook ur battery) go around the entire car and unplug/replug everything and spray every single plug etc with that stuff, including all under the steering column, dash, anywhere a sensor is.......... spray your whole TCU under the car just everywhere u can. It may not help at all, but it'll make sure the contacts are all clean & check all ur fuses)

** Sorry for the mass post but the mechanics who couldn't get into the ecu, was this before u had the battery replaced? ......... if so there probably wasn't enough power to power the ecu.....

the PIM (powertrain interface module) will cause no communication to the DLC (Diagnostic Line Connnector) the pim runs the can bus signal around the car and links the various components, the DLC also utilises the pim to work, i will have to look in my book, but im sure it does,

if the pim is dodgy or cooked, you wouldnt be able to sync with the computer, it will also prevent different components 'talking' to each other and cause faults,

bigdaddycool

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SS SILVER SEDAN
never head of a pim yet, explain ......... Body Control Module(BCM) (mounted on front of engine), Transmission Control Unit (TCU) - mounted on transmission, Engine Control Unit (ECU) - mounted in left passenger side.

Am I missing something?

vsholden01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Acclaim
I had the similar check drive train warning in my 2004 VZ Lumina (but car drove fine). I took it to Holden and they replaced the O2 sensor and cleared the dtcs. My wife’s commodore lost all power and had a top speed of 60 kmh and would not rev. The problem was a blocked cat converter. I am no mechanic but if your car has been under water it could be possible. Good luck.

SargeRX7

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Lumina
never head of a pim yet, explain ......... Body Control Module(BCM) (mounted on front of engine), Transmission Control Unit (TCU) - mounted on transmission, Engine Control Unit (ECU) - mounted in left passenger side.

Am I missing something?

Thanks for this info. I thought the unit mounted of the front of the engine is the ECU. Looking under the steering wheel there's a gray plastic boxed labeled Body Control Module:S

Will WD40 work to clean the terminals?

bigdaddycool

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SS SILVER SEDAN
Well if I'm wrong about what the front one is, it'll be the PCM, Powertrain Control Module. ....... too many :D. I'm not sure why your using WD40 to clean terminals.......... dont even know why the mechanic did it.

I'm a computer tech, that'd be like me using WD40 to clean ram or what not........... it has a lubricant in it. lol ......... does WD dry like it's not there? no.

You should really be using some Electrical Cleaner from supercheap. It's not the best available, but it's not WD40.

PaulSV6

CHE Tuned 156.8rwkw
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 M6, MY10 VE SV6 Sportswagon & MY03 XC SRI
Oh and on a note, what should the temp gauge be at on these cars? How long of driving does it usually take for the fans to begin cooling the radiators/engine bay?

Cheers

Both the VZ's we have at home my SV6 & dad's exec, they both sit at 1/4 mark, usually takes around 20mins.

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
'caveat emptor' - LET THE BUYER BEWARE. Under the circumstances, it's up to the buyer to check the vehicle and satisfy themselves it is what they expect it to be. You would not have any claim against the seller if it was a private sale.

SargeRX7

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Lumina
'caveat emptor' - LET THE BUYER BEWARE. Under the circumstances, it's up to the buyer to check the vehicle and satisfy themselves it is what they expect it to be. You would not have any claim against the seller if it was a private sale.

What if I have proof the seller forged a log book? I traced the car back to Queensland but the log book provided stated the original buyer lives in NSW. I rang a few people and all the information is false.

Torquative

Sports Economy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
now that would be something for a solicitor because you'll get 50 different answers from here ...

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450

Am I missing something?

yep the pim lol,

its located above the relays in the fuse box under the steering colum, its a smallis black box,

it links components in the can-bus system, integrates componenets that arnt compatible to can and allows comunication through the dlc

Well if I'm wrong about what the front one is, it'll be the PCM, Powertrain Control Module. ....... too many :D. I'm not sure why your using WD40 to clean terminals.......... dont even know why the mechanic did it.

that would be ecm, if they utilized a pcm, like older commodores, it would incorporate the transmission and engine in one module, but as they are seperate, its called a ecm