Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vz not starting, key doesnt spin back to run by itself

captaindrewski

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commodore ss hsv enhanced
hey all,

my vz 3.6 executive automatic has been intermittently stopping, normally at low speed. before we could restart it again pretty easily. but today it took about half an hour and a jumpstart before itd go. its strange because when you turn the key the starter motor comes on but it doesnt automatically spring back like it should, ie if you left it itd just keep cranking rather than spinning back by itself to ign/run whatever youd call it. we put a scan tool onto it didnt get any codes. we have also had problems with the central locking not working, via the key remote. if it was immobilised would the starter motor be able to run? since then its started and run fine but its obviously unsafe/ a pain in the ass when this happens. anyone had anything similar happen? thanks in advance

Super_Low 91

┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐
Reaction score
Members Ride
1993 VR
If the ignition is not returning by itself then then return spring on ignition switch tail is either broken or stripped. Best way to check is to remove the steering wheel shroud, look at the ignition barrel an there will be 2 screws holding the switch on the bottom of the barrel. Remove them then the ignition switch will come off an you should see the spring and a tail piece.
Cant find a good pic of it at the moment to explain it better. Will edit post if i find one

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Check with your Auto Club (if you are a member !!) or visit your local Auto Electrician (if you think it is electrical) otherwise a Holden Dealer.

captaindrewski

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commodore ss hsv enhanced
If the ignition is not returning by itself then then return spring on ignition switch tail is either broken or stripped. Best way to check is to remove the steering wheel shroud, look at the ignition barrel an there will be 2 screws holding the switch on the bottom of the barrel. Remove them then the ignition switch will come off an you should see the spring and a tail piece.
Cant find a good pic of it at the moment to explain it better. Will edit post if i find one

we did pull the shroud off and have a look, nothing obvious. funny thing is that now its working properly and car starts and drives as normal. would a broken switch tail cause the car to stall and not start again? im wondering if its crank angle sensor fault- as it starts and runs fine till it stalls- usually when its warm but cant explain the weird key thing

Super_Low 91

┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐
Reaction score
Members Ride
1993 VR
Key thing could be a sticky switch.

Stalling when warm could be the crank angle sensor, one way to check the cas is when it stalls pour water on the cas to cool it then try an start the car again. That's how i found out mine was failing after i poured water on it an waited a minute the car started fine till it heated up the cas again an it stalled.