Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vz or Vy?

-BLUR-

Reaction score
Members Ride
Non
Hey guys this is my first post..I am 17 and saving for my first car..i got about 10k and willing to save to about 15k? or so..

I have been looking at vz's and vy's and ive asked around some people say Vy's go harder and some people say Vz's are junkers. so iam just wondering what you guys opion is on The Vz compared to the Vy.

Thanks for the time.

(oh and do Ve gts rims fit on a vz and vy with out mods?)

****Edited******

Oh yeh iam talking about the Sv6. lol

Last edited:

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
Can't comment on which is better, as i havn't owned either.

The wheels are sold already modified to fit Pre VE cars. Pretty sure wheel king sell them :)

dags061

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH Vacationer 253, VH SL 185 pack 253
vz better than vy.

Hey guys this is my first post..I am 17 and saving for my first car..i got about 10k and willing to save to about 15k? or so..

I have been looking at vz's and vy's and ive asked around some people say Vy's go harder and some people say Vz's are junkers. so iam just wondering what you guys opion is on The Vz compared to the Vy.

Thanks for the time.

(oh and do Ve gts rims fit on a vz and vy with out mods?)

i owned a vz police car and it left my vx for dead. vx and vy have the same motor.
i believe ve rims will fit.

-BLUR-

Reaction score
Members Ride
Non
Ah thats mad all ready modded fo Vz :DDD. Thanks guys :)

Majestic 36

Reaction score
Members Ride
Looking For A VL
Ive always wondered what the differences are, would be interesting to find out.

VY2SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 2 SS
they're exactly the same car apart from some minor changes. i purchased a vy because i hate the stupid smiley face the vz has and the cheaper looking tail lights, simple as that.

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
they're exactly the same car apart from some minor changes. i purchased a vy because i hate the stupid smiley face the vz has and the cheaper looking tail lights, simple as that.

A completely different motor is a minor change now?

neet_wagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 XR6T & 1990 VN dragcar project
^^^ suprising isn't it. may be its because the alloytec is crap?

svsex

big blue
Reaction score
Members Ride
190 sv6
^^^ suprising isn't it. may be its because the alloytec is crap?

based on what? its on paper anycar stock with an allotec motor is faster, more fuel efficient, smoother and a more.

the only downside to the alloytec is modding cost can be quite high because its a newer engine then the old ecotec or buick motor, which has more down low torque but runs out of puff b4 a 3.6 alloytec which will spinn over 1000 more rpm.

jimmyd17

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Adventra LS1
I haven't owned either a VY or VZ, but i've done a decent amount of driving in a VY, and also driven a VZ. I was quite dissapointed with the VZ alloytec. I was expecting it to be much better. In my opinion the alloytec in the VZ is a "downgrade" on the old ecotec VY. That might sound strange but let me explain.

The VY was much more responsive off the line, where as the VZ you need to rev the nuts off it to make it move. That wouldn't be such a downer if it sounded nice, but the alloytec sounds more like my mum's 30 year old sewing machine than a sweet revving V6. (eg: any toyota V6 of the last 20 years or even late 90's magna V6's :rofl: are far superior to the alloytec IMO!).

The VZ alloytec has a fairly even torque spread. It makes close to its peak torque in a lot of the rev range which should be a good thing. But the feeling I got after stepping out of a VZ, this translates to - gutless everywhere.

I wouldn't say the old VY ecotec is a "superior motor" to the alloytec, because its really not. Its a bit of an old dunger really, but it does the job quite well and feels less gutless and more responsive than the alloytec. The downside of the ecotec is that its a pretty harsh motor at high revs. eg: it sounds like a conrod and pistion could come through the sump any second above of 5,000rpm, but if you don't thrash it then its not really a problem. But even still, the VZ alloytec isn't a smooth revving motor either. It is smoother than the ectotec, but still a harsh revving motor by todays standards.

So in conclusion, the VY gets my vote. It sounds better, is more responsive at low revs, uses about the same amount of fuel as the alloytec anyway, and isn't any slower. Just better to drive really lol. I may be slightly biased because I had a VS ecotec for a couple of years which was a good car, but I'm sure there'll be some VZ owners who are biased towards VZ's too, and there's nothing wrong with that either. Drive both and see which you prefer.

Wow that was a ramble and a half! I do that when i'm tired haha. Hopefully that gives you something to think about anyway.