Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Phantom!!!

JD

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.ccgm.au.tt
Members Ride
1.6L Turbo Holden Croooooooooooze
i would seriously be cracking the ****s cos the brake incident especally is a serious safety issue

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
faulty ABS unit for the brakes problem maybe? i certainly wouldn't be driving it. this requires ceremonial burning me thinks

kodakmomentz

Reaction score
Members Ride
02 VY SS
what would be the best thing is if the car starts when its at the dealer and has some fun smashing other cars and stuff when no one is there...then they might look at it then again it could be too coincidental and there still is nothing wrong with your VZ. :)

Jester99

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Discovered the brakes act strange in two conditions...

First if I am travelling slow and try to stop quick.... forget it on first pedal hit... pump them and it stops faster. My old kingswoods stopped faster than this VZ.

Second if I am travelling 80Kph and I try to stop quick and go over a bump or dip with one of the front wheels... when the wheel hits the dip/bump it causes the car to release the brakes slightly and the car continues forward instead of wanting to stop... its like its fooled by the dip/bump hit on the single wheel.

The services guys have driven the car but apparently it was 'fine' for them. I think they did not drive it much... Also left the car in the service workshop for over 2 weeks and it didnt start again. They even questioned me about the transmitter gear I use (which was not used at all on the day of the incident, but was many times prior with no ill effect).

I was surprised that both holden and the service dealer seemed to have a lack of interest about the safety issue with the brakes. When they first played up it took 4 days and 3 visits (and debates) to the service dealer before they actually did something about the problem and then they just replaced the master cylinder.

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
just curious how does the engine run now after it was revving it tits off, does it sound like it did before or does it sound like some damage was done

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SV6 II Commodore - Chlorophyll
I would write a letter to the head office of holden and state all the problems with dates and times that they occured. I would be demanding a replacement vehicle, due to the forseeable safety concerns. I would be also stating that if the problems are not rectified or a replacement vehicle is not given that you will be taking this public (ACA, Consumer Affairs, etc).
That should get some action happening.

Jester99

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
I can definately hear a difference in the way the engine runs after the phantom event. Sounds rougher now... used to have a smooth type of whir to it.

I am starting to think the brakes are just responding to another faulty system... ie the throttle wants to go on so tells the brakes to back off .... hmmm ??

AttaBoy

WTF?!?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Just replace the car man... Just to make your life way easier.
Holden makes hundreds of thousands of commodores and you can't expect every single one to be perfect or the same. Yours probably one of the 'bad' ones that came out of the factory.

VZTHUNDER

Enhanced Custom Tuned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Thunder MY06
I would write a letter to the head office of holden and state all the problems with dates and times that they occured. I would be demanding a replacement vehicle, due to the forseeable safety concerns. I would be also stating that if the problems are not rectified or a replacement vehicle is not given that you will be taking this public (ACA, Consumer Affairs, etc).
That should get some action happening.

i wouldnt mention news shows right off
maybe in a 2nd letter if nothing is done

talk to holden about it if its running rough now chances are something busted if it wasnt fully run in.
if all this is going wrong and there are safety concerns i would speak to a mechanic to get a quote on a fix.
or just replace it