Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Side mirror back removal?

dingdong555

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 2005 Executive
Hey guys.

Looking at getting the backside of my side mirrors colour coded to my car, do I have to remove the whole side mirror to remove these? (I know how to do that), but how do I remove the read cover?

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Hey guys.

Looking at getting the backside of my side mirrors colour coded to my car, do I have to remove the whole side mirror to remove these? (I know how to do that), but how do I remove the read cover?

I had to repair a late model Mazda mirror yesterday and I would say you are right in that the back will unclip (the Mazda did) but whether you damage it in the process, well??
I broke one of the top clips(2 top, 2 bottom) in the process.
The better way may be to remove the glass section (pops off 3 points, the main centre pivot and the 2 adjusting points, one is at the base and the other on the outer edge) then have a look see inside to remove the motor mechanism so you can then see the clips holding the back in place and use a screw driver to release the clips without damage.
Hope this helps.

ojame

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Commodore S Ute
Someone smashed into my mirror and i wanted to swap the back cover onto another mirror, i had no luck. Even on the spare, i tried to unclip it (using force because i didn't mind if it broke) and never managed. I'm still under the assumption that it's clipped, but impossible to remove.

I had no glass in the mirror either, and there's no way to pop it out from there (that i could see, dingdong might be onto something, if there's a gap behind the little motor drive)

Tape it up.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Pretty sure you cant remove the painted section.

MyWhiteCrewman

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8l VY Crewman
Old Thread I know.

I couldn't find a definitive answer so I'll post.

It is near to impossible to change the colour panel on the back of the mirrors between mirrors.

I attempted it, with the intention of basically destroying the black plastic on the broken mirror to retain the colour matched panel, and destroy the colour panel on the replacement, ending up with one good mirror. I have given up for now, it's stuck on pretty bloody well and full of expanding foam.

I may attempt to continue later since I've started and I'm obstinate, but it could be easier just to paint it, and I should have just paid the extra $30 for the right colour.

Attachments

• 20200122_195038_small.jpg
    20200122_195038_small.jpg
    362.8 KB · Views: 610