Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ SS L98 Ute

Tugin8tor

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 CV8-R Series 3
The change over was Jan 06.
For what ever reason, Holden called it the VZ 06/07 update. Every other person would have called it VZ series 2.

Mine missed it by 2 weeks :(
Ye the cross 8, 6ltrs are super rare. I think ive only ever seen 1 for sale in my entire life and it had about 300xxx kms haha. I'm going to look at this Thunder now, It has the H in the VIN and the L98 on the plate, I did a car history check as well and it reckons it was built in 07 but no PBR brakes o_O I'll let ya know how i go with it and take some pictures for ya

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Easy enough to bring it up to spec anyway. Put bigger brakes etc. badges.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L

Tugin8tor

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 CV8-R Series 3
Easy enough to bring it up to spec anyway. Put bigger brakes etc. badges.
Ye i went to look at it, turns out its just an 07 VZ SS Ute, not a thunder, it does have the bigger PBR brakes but they are the silver ones that they put on the 06 VZ SS Sedans. Cloth seats and door cards. It did have the L98 but over all the body wasnt the best, heaps of scratches on the paint work and a chip in the front bar, been lowered waaay too much as well. So i just gave it a miss :( hopefully something comes up soon! Its hard to find a decent VZ these days, not many people look after them

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ye i went to look at it, turns out its just an 07 VZ SS Ute, not a thunder, it does have the bigger PBR brakes but they are the silver ones that they put on the 06 VZ SS Sedans. Cloth seats and door cards. It did have the L98 but over all the body wasnt the best, heaps of scratches on the paint work and a chip in the front bar, been lowered waaay too much as well. So i just gave it a miss :( hopefully something comes up soon! Its hard to find a decent VZ these days, not many people look after them
Keep an eye on the auctions too.

It took me 18mths to find mine.

You won’t find something looked after. Accept it. However be prepared to get in and give your purchase a solid clean and you can really turn a car around. I can recommend some YouTube. Channels that are brilliant at that. Also be prepared to buy the parts that need fixing up. Then buy two of them. You will need spares.

Tugin8tor

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 CV8-R Series 3
Keep an eye on the auctions too.

It took me 18mths to find mine.

You won’t find something looked after. Accept it. However be prepared to get in and give your purchase a solid clean and you can really turn a car around. I can recommend some YouTube. Channels that are brilliant at that. Also be prepared to buy the parts that need fixing up. Then buy two of them. You will need spares.
Yeee its sad but its true haha, I'm just looking for something to take out more regularly than my Monaro, some ****** hit my drivers side mirror recently and i thought ye **** this, Its just going to be a cruising car otherwise its gonna get fucked. I might look at some older holdens if i can find something decent. Just want a thumper v8 to casually take out without having to worry too much about any damage. An old WB 1 tonner with a tray would be ideal really then ive only got front panels to worry about haha, The Monaro ive got is only 1 of 320 built. so its pretty precious to me and its sitting on the golden number....69xxx right now :p I think a WB might be the way to go

Torqueup

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX,VY,VZ,C6 Z06
it was the new emissions that started in jan 2006 which is why holden had to change over to the engine in the ve, they had already done all the emissions work in the tune.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Last edited:

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
For cross referencing purposes, I’m adding in this link:

It’s got every link I could find on the topic.