Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vz sv6 blue smoke on start up

AttaBoy

WTF?!?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Some how quite amount of oil is entering the combustion chamber. It could be down to worn piston rings to valve stem, overfilled engine or running too lean which I doubt it.

benzor

yawn :(
Reaction score
Members Ride
SV6!
Do you park it on a hill by any chance? I've left my SV6 Parked both uphill and downhill in driveways overngiht and had it puff blue smoke.. In normal conditions though(flat road), its never done it.

kiwi nz

Reaction score
Members Ride
04 vz sv6
Hi guys
I checked the oil it was fine. it was replaced about 4000km ago.

the car lives in the garage and only comes out every few days. My driveway is on a small slope.
I started comunicating with Dr Rob from the Pub hopefully he'll be able to find out or give me an idea of what the problem is.
thanks

holden007

VRII
Reaction score
Members Ride
Subaru Liberty
I had my valve stems done at 100k, not a big issue but I didn't want to see blue smoke every morning. Now it blows a little black smoke in cold starts, considering the engines over 220K, so thats pretty normal.

naf33n

go
Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged VU SS
find any fault for this?????. my bro's berlina(vz) does it. had me worried so ive been checking my sv6 everyday for the last week and hasnt even blown a puff of smoke.

there seems to be a descent amount of it coming out of the berlina. about 3 seconds worth

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
Not a Holden, but I remember now seeing a little bit of blue/black smoke coming from my Mum's 2002 Lancer after taking off. It's only done 50K. I think it's simply due to a tiny bit of engine wear and that very small amount of oil leaking into the combustion chamber overnight. No big deal. I wouldn't worry about it unless there is a cloud of blue smoke when you start it up like my brothers VK does lol.

kiwi nz

Reaction score
Members Ride
04 vz sv6
Hi guys
I got my SV6 back from Holden, they finally saw the smoke coming out of the exhaust. They are not quite sure what it is, they are waiting to hear back from the Holden technician and they said they would get back to me next week.
Thanks for your info and ideas. I'll let you know next week once I hear back from the Holden technician.

sirjolly18

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 holden VZ v6 ute.
black smoke on start up.

Im having the same issue on a 2004 vz v6 ute 140 000km.

On a cold start up it will blow a small amount of back smoke for about 1second but after that the flow goes clear and normal. if it is valve stem seals then its not a big problem. My honda xr250 did it, replaced and re seated the valves no more smoke. (Was a rebuild so do it right the first time,)

Anyway it does not accur all the time just if it sits more than a few days. Car was originally a city car and the previous was a bit heavy footed but neglected to take care of the car such as new oil and filters, gear box was said to be overdue by a very very long time etc. but all that is serviced and engine runs without a glitch.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Black smoke is fuel, possibly a leaky injector.

You turn the car off and the pressure in the fuel system bleeds through the leaky injector and sits in the cylinder till you start the car and is burned up quickly resulting in black smoke.