Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ SV6 Ex cop Car?????

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
My VZ is ex Telstra.
No problems at all with it so far - and the dept name is inside the hand book.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I have considerable experience in oversighting the servicing of Highway Patrol cars in NSW. Because of OHS issues, every available safety option is loaded into the cars, so, in the case of VZ's, you got all available airbags, anti-lock brakes, traction control and any other items which helped the cars handle high speeds and safeguard the police officers' safety. Sure, I realise that most of those things were standard in the SS, but some states don't specify the SS for HWP work, despite Holden's advice not to upgrade Exec's for high speed work.

As far as maintenance goes, the cars are serviced at 10k intervals, not the factory 15k. Tyres are replaced well before they become illegal and brakes etc are kept right up to par. Whilst the vehicles can lead a hard life, it is worth trying to find out where they were assigned during their police lives. A car that has worked in Sydney or Newcastle will generally have operated at lower speeds and run on better roads. Country cars will have seen higher speeds on poorer quality roads. Vehicles from out west may have operated at warp speed over dirt or rough bitumen. Thus, suspensions, steering and brakes will have worked a lot harder on those cars from remote country locations, but their engines will have been operating in open road conditions rather than congested traffic.

You have to look beyond the interior and external paintwork etc, and check underneath for stone damage, dented floor pans, dinged lower sill panels etc., but they can still be good value.

Regards

pj

TELF SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
I'm happy mines ex police, its been the best car Ive owned, and despite everyones whinging about buying ex police vehicles I am yet to encounter any of the supposid issues people ramble on with. :thumbsup:

yes i have to agree as well having 2 ex vic cop cars
vt 6 cycl bc91 general car
vz ss highway partol car SMART program
neither of them has given me any problem
kim

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
i go to tafe with a fella and his work has the police contract for servicing, as well as being serviced every 10,000 i believe they change the diff oil aswell or maybe 20,000km

Kung-Foo-Kamel

Reaction score
Members Ride
Custom Hilux with a V6 Ecotec
VZ Ex Cop car = 3.08 LSD + FE2 Suspension + Steal bash Plate + Good service history

To see if its a cop pack, just look on the compliance plate on the radiater suport, it will say FE2 suspension, then look under the car and see if it has a thick steal bash plate, and check the label on the diff, it should have a LSD

These things are genraly not found on a bog stocker, so a ex cop car is a good buy in my eyes, there no quicker but they have sv6 diff and suspension with a country pack thick steal bash plate, some have black interier but some also have the standard gunmetal gray, if its black I would say its a ex cop car for sure

vz 914

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE HSV GTS , VZ UTE, VL GROUP A
9c1 is the production option number for the police pack that replaced BT1 ,but they also got more specific with the late models

The 924 code (for example) option pack number also tells you the following :

9 = police spec(just like 1 is exec,2 berlina, 3 calais ..... 8 is SS etc)
2 = Gen3 V8 (1 =V6)
4 = 4 speed auto (6 = manual-v8 only)

Thus 914 is a V6 auto police , 926 is a manual Gen3 police.

Kung-Foo-Kamel

Reaction score
Members Ride
Custom Hilux with a V6 Ecotec
9c1 is the production option number for the police pack that replaced BT1 ,but they also got more specific with the late models

The 924 code (for example) option pack number also tells you the following :

9 = police spec(just like 1 is exec,2 berlina, 3 calais ..... 8 is SS etc)
2 = Gen3 V8 (1 =V6)
4 = 4 speed auto (6 = manual-v8 only)

Thus 914 is a V6 auto police , 926 is a manual Gen3 police.

Awsome info, will remember this

Cheers

KFK

BlueBoy43

Love my VZ SV6
Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VZ SV6
Hi. Where would be the best place to purchase an ex cop car. I looked in the government auction web site but it doesn't tell you previous owner. Is there somewhere else?

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
In NSW Police vehicles are leased, and disposed of through auction houses. Depending on what you are after, picking a police car isn't dikfficult. The owners handbook should still be with the car. That will tell you straight away who the previous owner was. I have a VP handbook from a former NSW Police vehicle. The vehicle's serial number could also be written in texta on the cover - another giveaway.

The type of car can assist. For example, an SS. Who else but police would use such a vehicle in a government department?

Also, police vehicles have a number of bits of equipment installed which are removed but leave holes in obscure locations. Look under the floor to see if there are any holes drilled to hold radio speakers and magnetic plates to secure dome lamps when not in use. Radios are installed in the glovebox - check for holes showing where they were mounted. Torches and batons were fixed to the console or doors - look for the holes. Sometimes they are repaired before disposal but some might remain.

Have a good look, it isn't that hard to spot them. And the compliance plate could also give the game away as already discussed.

vz 914

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE HSV GTS , VZ UTE, VL GROUP A
You need to go to the auction on inspection day take the lot number of the car and most places have a office staffed by someone who will let you view the log books (you can not take them out of office) , just read the front page and it will have owner (ie victoria will have Owner- Victoria Police . Then look in the service folder and this will tell you where the car was serviced and from this info you will be able to determine if it was a city car or country car.

This is what i did when i purchased my VZ ex-police , i know my vehicle came from Country Victoria (Horsham) as all servicing was done at local Holden dealer as per dealer stamps
I purchased from Fowlers auction in Melbourne
Hope this helps