Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ SV6 Manual Speedo Not Working

Blaka

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
My VZ SV6 manual sedan has its speedo stuck at 0km/h when I’m driving. I’ve checked the back of the dash and it’s plugged in and no faulty wires (still could be faulty I only inspected the outside of it). I then looked at the gearbox for a speed sensor but wasn’t sure where it was. All plugs in the gearbox were tight and wires all good. Therefore, I’m guessing that my speed sensor (vss) is broken. I’ve been searching for a replacement but can only find one for the 4spd auto and not my 6spd manual. Can anyone help me please?

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
If the digital speedo works then all your theories are no good.
It could be possible the problem is with the inside of the cluster.

Blaka

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
If the digital speedo works then all your theories are no good.
It could be possible the problem is with the inside of the cluster.
Digital speedo doesn't work either so the cluster isn't receiving any information about speed. All other gauges work fine.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hold Mode and Set while turning the ignition on. (You can start the car if you want.)
Then press "mode" on its own.
You'll get into engineering mode and toward the end of the various options, you will see a selftest on the cluster functions.
press mode to cycle through.
Pressing "Set" exits.
The speedo will swing to 100 if all is working well with the cluster. The taco goes to 3000 and the other minor gauges will show ½

Blaka

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Hold Mode and Set while turning the ignition on. (You can start the car if you want.)
Then press "mode" on its own.
You'll get into engineering mode and toward the end of the various options, you will see a selftest on the cluster functions.
press mode to cycle through.
Pressing "Set" exits.
The speedo will swing to 100 if all is working well with the cluster. The taco goes to 3000 and the other minor gauges will show ½
Yes I know this, all needles go to half so the cluster is functioning but as I mentioned before, the cluster isn't receiving the information so do you know where i can buy a replacement vehicle speed sensor because I can't find one.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
The sensor is at the back of the gearbox on the drivers side. Held in with a bolt.
You can get one from Holden, Repco, Bursons etc.